You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stuck Pixels in imported RW2 files? Please help!

Hello fellow Affinity iPad users!

i just bought the Affinity Photo App for my iPad Pro 9.7“. I already love it! However I encountered one weird problem:

There are random tiny dots visible on my imported RAW files (RW2, Panasonic Lumix G7). You can see what I mean in the photo I have uploaded below. 

Does anyone know where that could come from? As for now it isn‘t that much of a problem as I can remove the dots with the clone tool, however it is quite annoying if you have to edit multiple photos and have to go searching for the little dots first and remove them all first.

if you need more information to help me with my problem, just tell me, I‘ll try to be as precise as possible.

EDIT: The dots appear only in Affinity, when I import and export the RAWs with another software, there are no dots visible at all.

EDIT 2: I have now found out that the dots are so called „Stuck Pixels“. I tried the Pixel Refresh option my camera provides that actually claims to solve stuck Pixel Problems but that didn‘t work - it actually made it worse I believe. I‘m a bit concerned - I have spent my money onAffinity and really want to use it but this makes it pretty much unusable for me...

Thank you for every answer!

Greets,

Sarah (infinabey)

8A00D73F-A8FB-4806-B42C-CDC681553E41.jpeg

Where else do you look at your pictures? If it's with the camera itself the screen is probably too small. Take a few pictures of a white wall, set the camera to Aperture Priority, set it to F8 or 11. If the spots appears at the same place on each picture... well it's dust, or some kind of particules on the sensor.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 minute ago, AlainP said:

Where else do you look at your pictures? If it's with the camera itself the screen is probably too small. Take a few pictures of a white wall, set the camera to Aperture Priority, set it to F8 or 11. If the spots appears at the same place on each picture... well it's dust, or some kind of particules on the sensor.

I have opened the RAW in another editor and exported it, there were no dots no matter how thoroughly I searched for them or how much I zoomed in.

Well, I can't see how Photo would add "fake dust spots" on a picture... can you attach the RAW file?

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

You are right... spots appear only whith the iPad version of Affinity Photo. I tried two RAW editors and no spots. Affinity Photo on PC... no spots.

All I can see is that other editors correct automatically the spots and make them disappear, but the RAW engine on the iPad does not do that.

Have a look at the article on "Stuck Photosites" here.

But let's wait for the experts advices.

-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Hi infinabey,

As you've found out, the RAW engine on IOS doesn't remove dead/hot pixels.  So you'd have to manually correct these for now.  The other apps you've used will likely use their own RAW engine or a 3rd party one that does, on IOS Affinity uses the Apple RAW engine.  Hopefully this is something Apple will be able to add support for at some stage :)