Photo 1.7.0.109 doesn't placing files

Same here, not with the place image tool or the menu command. Nothing happens I can see and select the Photo document but that is it. Build .109 documents toss up a warning about being from a newer version of the suite when I use Designer's beta to try and open a Photo document. Plus I have to check if I can crash the publisher beta again trying to place a document.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

Further to this is that both Designer and Publisher's current betas will not open a beta .109 Photo document, they just hang as soon as the open button is clicked. Both will open 1.6 versions of Affinity Photo. A force quit is the only way to get out of the situation.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.3 | Affinity Photo 1.9.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 hours ago, emlazo1 said:

The last build of Photo create .afphoto files can't be placed in AD and AP need to export as png or psd to place in both apps

Do you mean they can't be placed in Designer and Photo or in Designer beta and Photo Beta?

I would not expect the beta files to be openable or placeable in the stable releases.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1065 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1065 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

I can also reproduce this issue.  These are the steps.

1. Open an image file in Affinity Photo beta (1.7.0.109).
  2. Save the file as <whatever_filename>.afphoto
  3. Open Affinity Designer beta (1.7.0.4)
  4. Create a new document in AD
  5. Using either the "Place Image Tool" or "Place" command in the File menu, try to place the file saved in step 2 into the new document.  AD displays a warning message about the file having a large meta data and presents an option to reduce it.  Once you select No, nothing happens.

I can also confirm that this doesn't happen with placing the same file saved in step 2 into a document in Affinity Photo (1.7.0.109)

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you mean they can't be placed in Designer and Photo or in Designer beta and Photo Beta?

I would not expect the beta files to be openable or placeable in the stable releases.

I was testing with the betas of Designer and Publisher.

2 hours ago, Nana said:
  1. Open an image file in Affinity Photo beta (1.7.0.109).
  2. Save the file as <whatever_filename>.afphoto
  3. Open Affinity Designer beta (1.7.0.4)
  4. Create a new document in AD
  5. Using either the "Place Image Tool" or "Place" command in the File menu, try to place the file saved in step 2 into the new document.  AD displays a warning message about the file having a large meta data and presents an option to reduce it.  Once you select No, nothing happens.

I got no warning, just a long wait with nothing happening. Same result (no message) with Publisher.

19 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Same here, not with the place image tool or the menu command. Nothing happens I can see and select the Photo document but that is it. Build .109 documents toss up a warning about being from a newer version of the suite when I use Designer's beta to try and open a Photo document. Plus I have to check if I can crash the publisher beta again trying to place a document.

That works very well for me in Publisher beta 227. What it looks like in designer (beta), I can't say, because I'm not beta-testing the designer. But it does NOT work in Designer 1.6.1.

Regards, Puck

(iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS 10.14.3)

(iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)