You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.7.0.109 doesn't placing files

Same here, not with the place image tool or the menu command. Nothing happens I can see and select the Photo document but that is it. Build .109 documents toss up a warning about being from a newer version of the suite when I use Designer's beta to try and open a Photo document. Plus I have to check if I can crash the publisher beta again trying to place a document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Further to this is that both Designer and Publisher's current betas will not open a beta .109 Photo document, they just hang as soon as the open button is clicked. Both will open 1.6 versions of Affinity Photo. A force quit is the only way to get out of the situation.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 hours ago, emlazo1 said:

The last build of Photo create .afphoto files can't be placed in AD and AP need to export as png or psd to place in both apps

Do you mean they can't be placed in Designer and Photo or in Designer beta and Photo Beta?

I would not expect the beta files to be openable or placeable in the stable releases.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can also reproduce this issue.  These are the steps.

1. Open an image file in Affinity Photo beta (1.7.0.109).
  2. Save the file as <whatever_filename>.afphoto
  3. Open Affinity Designer beta (1.7.0.4)
  4. Create a new document in AD
  5. Using either the "Place Image Tool" or "Place" command in the File menu, try to place the file saved in step 2 into the new document.  AD displays a warning message about the file having a large meta data and presents an option to reduce it.  Once you select No, nothing happens.

I can also confirm that this doesn't happen with placing the same file saved in step 2 into a document in Affinity Photo (1.7.0.109)

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you mean they can't be placed in Designer and Photo or in Designer beta and Photo Beta?

I would not expect the beta files to be openable or placeable in the stable releases.

I was testing with the betas of Designer and Publisher.

2 hours ago, Nana said:
  1. Open an image file in Affinity Photo beta (1.7.0.109).
  2. Save the file as <whatever_filename>.afphoto
  3. Open Affinity Designer beta (1.7.0.4)
  4. Create a new document in AD
  5. Using either the "Place Image Tool" or "Place" command in the File menu, try to place the file saved in step 2 into the new document.  AD displays a warning message about the file having a large meta data and presents an option to reduce it.  Once you select No, nothing happens.

I got no warning, just a long wait with nothing happening. Same result (no message) with Publisher.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I got no warning, just a long wait with nothing happening. Same result (no message) with Publisher.

I think I got the warning message because the image I used in step 1 is a raw file.

Bear in mind that older versions of Affinity products cannot always open documents from newer versions.

Best guess is that the .109 beta of Photo has a newer subversion of the file format and the other two products will need to catch up with the next releases of their betas?

19 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Same here, not with the place image tool or the menu command. Nothing happens I can see and select the Photo document but that is it. Build .109 documents toss up a warning about being from a newer version of the suite when I use Designer's beta to try and open a Photo document. Plus I have to check if I can crash the publisher beta again trying to place a document.

That works very well for me in Publisher beta 227. What it looks like in designer (beta), I can't say, because I'm not beta-testing the designer. But it does NOT work in Designer 1.6.1.

Regards, Puck

(iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS 10.14.3)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.