You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

aligning crop rectangle

The latest Mac beta, released today, says...

-The crop tool now obeys the global snapping enable state.

But I have no idea what that means as it is not available on Windows at the moment

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Tariq,
Here's a couple ways:

Using the Crop Tool
- before entering cropping, drag a horizontal and vertical guide to the middle of the canvas to mark the centre of the canvas.
- set the Mode to Original ratio (if you need to keep the ratio otherwise leave it in Unconstrained mode)
- set the Overlay dropdown to diagonals
- use the diagonals's crosses and the crop frame's handles to help you align the crop frame with the guides to centre the crop frame (if you scale the crop frame you have to re-adjust the position again - it's not dynamic but may be enough for some situations - check the method below for a more dynamic appraoch.

Using a rectangle shape as a clipping frame
- draw a rectangle shape the size of the canvas
- in the layers panel drag the image over the rectangle shape (not over the thumbnail of the layer but over the label area on the right)
- change to the Move Tool, select the rectangle in the Layers panel and tick Lock Children in the context toolbar
- press and hold ⌘ (cmd) (or CTRL if you are using Windows) and drag one of the corners of the rectangle on canvas to scale from the centre (also press shift simultaneously if you want to keep the ratio) until you are happy with the "crop area"
- go to menu Document ▸ Clip Canvas
- optionally rasterise the rectangle layer if you want to get rid of the cropped (hidden) parts and flatten the layer.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

the alignment/snapping of the frame with objects on the canvas has been missing here for quite some time, if I remember correctly I already asked for it several years ago – because almost all tools have the possibility to constrain each other, except the Crop Tool.

I would really love to see the option to align the crop frame to objects on the desktop soon – it would be incredibly helpful to save further steps and workarounds in the workflow.

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I have to come back to this topic because it's really bugging me right now.

MEB, are there any plans to implement the function "snap to level/object" at some point?
It's not very intuitive to create a guide that's only needed for 2 seconds, but which will hang
around in the document afterwards, unless you open the Guides Manager and delete it there. :34_rolling_eyes:

Please … consider improving that! :7_sweat_smile:

Greetings
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png