You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo very slow starter

Hello! I have been pondering this on/off for months. I first contacted this forum many months ago but there was no remedy, recent posts on an other forum sparked me to take another spin with the problem. So, I've tried to be happy with the Affinity Photo as I really have been with the other Serif products but the AP is so slow starter I can't sit waiting for 15 to 20 minutes to see the "start" page. Other users have reported 9 to 12 second starting time.

24G RAM on the main computer, 16 on the other and it is the same on both computers, it takes 15 mins minimum. I have LR Classic, PS ver 20 CC, On1, Capture1,SigmaPP and some other software and the AP is the only one acting like this.

I uninstalled the AP using Revo Uninstaller, doing "deep clean". Did a fresh install and it is slow, maybe not as it was but it takes minutes. The "loading fonts", which I have thousands, takes abt. 3 minutes. And when it's ready to operate, opening a 16mb Fujifilm file takes 15-20 sec., so it seems a no go with the AP. But I would like to use AP if there is a way to get it running properly. Thank you.

• Staff

Hi Monte :)

With thousands of fonts installed a ~3 minute opening time is somewhat expected. We're aware that our font management could be faster, and we're working to improve this for future builds.

Do you have a font manager installed? if so we recommend bulk disabling fonts when not in use, as you can re-enable specific fonts with Designer open and the font list will automatically update.

We've improved RAW loading speeds in our latest Affinity Photo beta, I'd recommend downloading this from the link below and giving it a try, at our betas can be installed alongside the retail version! https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

37 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Do you have a font manager installed? if so we recommend bulk disabling fonts when not in use, as you can re-enable specific fonts with Designer open and the font list will automatically update.

And if not, install one!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thousands of fonts with a 3 minute loading time does not explain the program taking 15-20 minutes to open, which is baffling to say the least

As mentioned above use a Font Manager to disable ALL your fonts.

If disabling all Fonts makes the program load in under a minute or 2 add the fonts back in batches to see when/if the problem reoccurs

If after disabling all Fonts the program still takes 15+ minutes to open it's not font related and you can report back for more ideas on what to try next

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yikes..definitely uninstall all those thousands and start using FontBase, Nexus Font or something similar..lol you're going to think you got a whole new computer once you get rid of all those!

Also, a word of advice on fonts. Many people (myself included) end up doing the "oh yeah, well i have 8,000 fonts" "that's it? I have 13,000!" bit but all that does is drag your computer performance to sludge. And for the most part, 90% of those fonts are just garbage in quality and aesthetics.  I did a self challenge to go from ~9,000 fonts to 1,500 in order to use the free version of MainType font manager and at the time, it was like severing a limb. Now, I realize that was the best thing I could have done. I was hoarding some truly horrendous fonts. Now every single one is carefully chosen for the best quality and if I decide to download one that's up and coming, I have to get rid of an old one that doesn't get used.  Of course, this means I have deleted fonts I used in projects from my most amateur days but it takes just a moment to download it again, should the need arise. More often, I end up substituting a much better one for a refreshed and updated look. :)