You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi.

Affinity designer is great! Very PRO. But i miss some features about editing path. (iPad version)

• cutting path between nodes.
  • eraser for path
  • snapping points (nodes) to path (the segments between nodes)
  • snapping nodes to different path

I think this features are there anywhere. But i can´t find it.

There are two killer-features i need for my workflow (for my private wishlist):

1) Astude graphics / DynamicSketch

Itś an AI Plugin. There is a funktion to delete overlapping path by removing intuitivly by holding shift and paint over the unwonted Segment. 

2) AI on board feature: interactive painting

This tool make it possible to fill gaps surrounded by two or more path. The funktion generates seperate and closed shapes just by draging color swatches in the spare inclosed by different path.

Maybe AD has this features onboard. The AD desktop Version?

Thanks for Support.

best regards. MMMax

• Staff

Hi MMMax,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Some comments/notes about your points:

1. Cutting path between nodes
To cut a path between nodes you first need to place a node where you want to cut the path with the Node Tool, then with it selected (tap the Break button on the context toolbar on bottom. If you change to the Move Tool and drag the path you will see it's now broken in two.

2. Eraser for path
Currently there's no vector Eraser. If you switch to Pixel Persona you can use the Erase Brush Tool to "delete" (actually hide) paths. It does it creating a mask nested to the vector object or layer (if you have placed several objects on a layer and have it selected) and masking them. It obviosuly doesn't change the vector objects geometry as a true vector based erase tool would do.

3 & 4. Snapping points (nodes) to path (the segments between nodes) and snapping nodes to different path
This is already available on the iPad and desktop versions. On iPad Tap the document menu on the top left of the interface, select Snapping and enable Snap to layer geometry and Snap to shape keypoints. When you drag a node with the Node Tool over another path/shape/node you should now see a yellow line or yellow node when you mouse-over them indicating you can snap to them. Also note several other local snapping options for the Pen and Node Tools in the context toolbar on bottom (at the rightest end).

5. Astude graphics / DynamicSketch
There's a similar function available when using the Pencil Tool (only) to draw on iPad and desktop versions. It's enabled by tapping the Sculpt button in the context toolbar with the Pencil Tool selected on iPad or the corresponding Sculpt Mode button in the desktop (in the context toolbar as well). With it active you can draw again over an existing (selected) path to sculpt/redraw that path.

6. AI on board feature: interactive painting
This is not available in Affinity apps yet.

Thanks for your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 12:53 PM, MEB said:

Hi MMMax,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Some comments/notes about your points:

1. Cutting path between nodes
To cut a path between nodes you first need to place a node where you want to cut the path with the Node Tool, then with it selected (tap the Break button on the context toolbar on bottom. If you change to the Move Tool and drag the path you will see it's now broken in two.

2. Eraser for path
Currently there's no vector Eraser. If you switch to Pixel Persona you can use the Erase Brush Tool to "delete" (actually hide) paths. It does it creating a mask nested to the vector object or layer (if you have placed several objects on a layer and have it selected)and masking them. It obviosuly doesn't change the vector objects geometry as a true vector based erase tool would do.

3 & 4. Snapping points (nodes) to path (the segments between nodes) and snapping nodes to different path
This is already available on the iPad and desktop versions. On iPad Tap the document menu on the top left of the interface, select Snapping and enable Snap to layer geometry and Snap to shape keypoints. When you drag a node with the Node Tool over another path/shape/node you should now see a yellow line or yellow node when you mouse-over them indicating you can snap to them. Also note several other local snapping options for the Pen and Node Tools in the context toolbar on bottom (at the rightest end).

5. Astude graphics / DynamicSketch
There's a similar function available when using the Pencil Tool (only) to draw on iPad and desktop versions. It's enabled by tapping the Sculpt button in the context toolbar with the Pencil Tool selected on iPad or the corresponding Sculpt Mode button in the desktop (in the context toolbar as well). With it active you can draw again over an existing (selected) path to sculpt/redraw that path.

6. AI on board feature: interactive painting
This is not available in Affinity apps yet.

Thanks for your feedback.

Your suggestion for 2, erasing the path, really is a workaround, and not a substitute for preserving the original path qualities

• Staff

Hi BarKeegan,
I did say "It obviosuly doesn't change the vector objects geometry as a true vector based erase tool would do." in reply to your point 2 acknowledging that it isn't a true vector eraser substitute, only a resource/feature you have currently available in the software that gets a similar visual result masking the object. It's now up to the dev/management teams to decide which and when those suggestions can be implemented - there's quite a large list of things to do already. Thanks again for your feedback.

• 1 month later...

I really hope to see a vector eraser soon, it is an essential feature, along with scissors and knife, to edit paths. I know the devs have lots of thing to implement, but this one is quite essential. The pen and node tool are my favorite in all drawing apps, but I really miss these features, which are in less advanced apps like Graphic and Vectornator

• 10 months later...

Hello:

The solution to erase part of a shape in a vector persona is this:

image.png.1dd1499b35c66dfce2adfc4e7d087507.png

1. We have a rectangle and some curves over it.

2. Select the curves and go to layer menu to expand stroke.

image.png.2950d711b77502849aa0375b3c73a21b.png   image.png.b473133758a8ef8bb222d565d216b5d6.png

3. Boolean operation and substract:

image.png.2586cc1a6d20f9aa2754138072329f6f.png

4. Now you have a vector stroke erasing part of the rectangle:

image.png.01832e7e4b03947cfe7c45947fe353b0.png

I suppose this is what you meant to need... or not...

Thanks.