You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Super happy with the software, but the Affinity logo gave me a wrong impression

Hi all,

Let me start with stating that I'm a new and super happy Affinity user, that can't wait to never open an Adobe program any time unless really necessary. So far the Affinity has been very intuitive and nice.

The reason I'm writing this post, is not to bash, but to give feedback in what to me is an important aspect of any software: the logo. The Affinity logo is in a way kinda supercool/Sci-fi/nerdy, but to be honest my first and second impression where that this has to be from a freeware suite. For me, it just misses professionalism and cleanliness. Personally, I really don't care (and your reaction might be something like "who cares?"), and I think will grow on the logo, so don't start mocking me please, but what I'm saying is, that it might scare off new enterprises that look for an alternative to the Adobe Suite, and I really hope Affinity will be the new standard in the future.

I know it's in the DNA of Affinity and this post will probably be either neglected or disapproved, but I just wanted to share my first impression, now that I'm still in the phase of being able to have first impressions. Now I'll shut up and start making stuff...

• Staff

Hi GalaxySurfer,

Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks for your honest feedback, we always appreciate it.

We've recently updated our app icons in the latest beta, which you can download from here if you wish - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/32-affinity-beta-software-forums/

I've included a screenshot of the new icons for you below :)

image.png

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan,

Superthanks for your immediate feedback. I already feel bad for posting this, but it were the first emotions that came up, and although it's not something related to the pure functional working of the apps, I do find it important that something like this matches the 'feel' I expect.

When I look at the new icons more closely, I like the abstract pencil and aperture illustrations, very intelligently done. Generally speaking though I still find the icons too complicated/squarish/from the future. Of course it's ok if a user like me, or other individual users, are not a big fan of the logo, but besides sharing this I guess I'm curious how other members are experiencing this.

Bye

As an end user I have no real feelings either way, for me an icon is just a simple visual identifier. If I had to be critical I would have to say I'm not fussed on the colours for the publisher icon, it doesn't seem to match the other colours I think a green would have been better and as a group would have looked more harmonious.

There are only so many ways you can say photo, designer and publisher graphically without getting so abstract you lose the visual reference to the function of the app. Square, circle, triangle or any other shape, rounded or not are superfluous embellishments I'd be quite happy with a square icon that had the text AFP, AFD and AFPu.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hmm, I think the more interesting impact is that they are so unlike what I see on the multiple pages of Logos/Icons I scan through, that Affinity apps will be spotted easily. The subtle context for each Logo's function makes sense, even if it took a pause to figure this out. For me the functionality works and I don't worry so much about the beauty of the thing, but then functionality is a kind of beauty. I wonder how Raymond Lowey would have approached it?

—Joseph

Solly

JFSJ

N3MKH

Rest assured that enterprises will look at the actual features and output - not the icons.

Law of triviality

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:24 AM, Dan C said:

Hi GalaxySurfer,

Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks for your honest feedback, we always appreciate it.

We've recently updated our app icons in the latest beta, which you can download from here if you wish - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/32-affinity-beta-software-forums/

I've included a screenshot of the new icons for you below :)

image.png

I personally have to say I like the previous logos a LOT more, especially since the triangle shape made it easy to see the affinity software in between all the circles and rectangles most other icons have, and I personally dislike flat design.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the reactions. I just wanted my gut feelings to speak out, of course in the end it's the functionality that needs the focus.

Solly, I agree with you that the logo's/icons really stand out, and maybe my perspective is already changing and I'm seeing the originality more and more. So maybe it's nice to conclude with the awareness that a logo is more or less the first impression you get about an organization, and because of that it should always be in line with the ideas and philosophy of the brand. I still think it's a "complicated/futuristic" logo, but I understand now that the logo has a lot of depth, which is now giving me the idea that Affinity has a desire to go one step further than traditional organizations, a goal I really support, especially in this field with one dominant player.

Anyway, enough meta talk haha... I just bought the Designer app, stoked to get started...

I'm surprised about this thread. I like both the 'old' as the new flatstyle icons. I think they are great and stylish and nothing nerdy at all, but indicate professional looking designer software. Also like the abstract lines in it to indicate what it's for, while still remaining the overal look. And the icons are easy to spot in the taskbar. I like to click on them to launch creative software! :) My 2cts

• 11 months later...

I regularly come back to check on the current state of the Affinity applications. Every time I can't get over the fact, that the company uses a logo that looks like one for a 3d gaming engine or a science fiction first-person shooter in outer space. I interpret this as the software not being aimed at creative professionals but rather an audience that needs the software to design avatars for their Discord account. This may not be true, but it's how I perceive it.

It also may sound ridiculous (or trivial as mentioned before) to some people—but not to me as a creative professional. I am well aware of the power of visual language (it's my job) and assume this is a choice that was consciously made. So—no Affinity for me at the moment.