You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Veste Wachsenburg with blood moon

MarcBr

Although the composition is good, I cannot help thinking that the lighting looks wrong. I take it that this was of the recent lunar eclipse, just off totality so that the left-hand limb is just illuminated. This means that the Sun was behind the viewer and the Earth between the Sun and the Moon. That being so, how are the bright clouds being illuminated? The foreground also looks unexpectedly bright for a night photo.

Was this done with a single shot or is it a composite? Did you use HDR?

Hope you take these comments as constructive. I am willing to believe that others might think your lighting was just right!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 2/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, John Rostron said:

Although the composition is good, I cannot help thinking that the lighting looks wrong. I take it that this was of the recent lunar eclipse, just off totality so that the left-hand limb is just illuminated. This means that the Sun was behind the viewer and the Earth between the Sun and the Moon. That being so, how are the bright clouds being illuminated? The foreground also looks unexpectedly bright for a night photo.

It was a shot taken on two different times on the same day. It was shot last summer / autumn. It wasn't possible for me to shot the moon and the castle in one shot because of the clouds that evening. I shot the moon later that night. The haze in that composition is fake, btw. Those clouds behind the castle were illuminated during sundown.

Was this done with a single shot or is it a composite? Did you use HDR?

No HDR, but as mentioned above two separate shots:

1586810004_BlutmondLangzeitbelichtungA4-5511-3_small.thumb.jpg.0e25d0fe0a1dce1bdbb2265c940a3d86.jpg1517858078_BlutmondLangzeitbelichtungA4-5578.jpg.b31116b7a8c56cd3527ce7ffadfc095f.jpg

Hope you take these comments as constructive. I am willing to believe that others might think your lighting was just right!

I am super happy about your comment - that was exactly what I was asking for!
Sometimes I forget about the lighting or even worse: the correct postioning of the shadows :4_joy:

Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind for my next edits xD

Cheers, Marc