thewhitewolfyt

Affinity photo adds tint when photos are opened

When i open an image on Affinity Photo a tint is added as you can see in the image. Both images are on the same monitor. When the image is exported the tint disappears as if it was never there. 

image.thumb.png.8bb5c6d8cc50914f887b0d211f9f6548.png image.thumb.png.a9a8c35da17f9763298f1519bafdd521.png

Looking at your screenshot, the image is using an ICC colour profile named 'C2', which isn't one of the usual standard profiles (such as sRGB, AdobeRGB, etc.).  However, I tried the same image as you (with the C2 colour profile) and I don't see the colour cast.

If you download and open the below version of the image in Affinity Photo, does this image have a cast too?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/City_of_London_skyline_from_London_City_Hall_-_Sept_2015_-_Crop_Aligned.jpg

If the downloaded image also has a colour cast, what happens if you open a new blank Affinity Photo document, is the document background pure white?

When i create a blank  document it also has a yellowish tint. The tint goes away when i export the file as if the tint was never there which is strange. I never noticed it in the past so im not too sure if it was always there.

image.png

image.png

I suspect this is another case of incorrect colors caused by Affinity Photo adjusting RGB values per the monitor profile in duplication of Windows' own adjustment. (See lengthy writeup here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/78021-ap-double-application-of-monitor-calibration/ ).

Go into Control Panel | Color Management, Devices tab. Note the default profile for your monitor (the one with "(default)" at end of name).

While looking at the tinted image in Affinity, do Document | Assign ICC Profile, and set the profile to the default profile for your monitor. The colors become correct, right?

Next, exit Affinity, go into Color Management, and change the default profile for the monitor to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Restart Affinity and open the London Skyline image. The colors are correct, right? (Though everything on your screen probably looks too blue now, because it is no longer calibrated.)

15 hours ago, Jim Weigang said:

I suspect this is another case of incorrect colors caused by Affinity Photo adjusting RGB values per the monitor profile in duplication of Windows' own adjustment. (See lengthy writeup here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/78021-ap-double-application-of-monitor-calibration/ ).

Go into Control Panel | Color Management, Devices tab. Note the default profile for your monitor (the one with "(default)" at end of name).

While looking at the tinted image in Affinity, do Document | Assign ICC Profile, and set the profile to the default profile for your monitor. The colors become correct, right?

Next, exit Affinity, go into Color Management, and change the default profile for the monitor to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Restart Affinity and open the London Skyline image. The colors are correct, right? (Though everything on your screen probably looks too blue now, because it is no longer calibrated.)

Thanks Jim, This seemed to do the trick, it turned out my other had an LCD profile instead of sRGB

I'm having a similar problem just happened recently when I open a image it goes all  dark then when I try to edit/develop it goes very bright to a point you can't edit the image please could you fix this ? 

DSC_4851.jpg

If you are working with a raw image (which I suspect from your use of "Develop"), then you should try setting your display ICC profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Do this using the Color Management applet within Control Panel (on Windows 10, type "Color Management" in the search bar). Click the sRGB choice in the ICC Profiles list and then click Set as Default Profile. (Use the Add... button if sRGB isn't in the list.)

After changing the display profile to sRGB, restart Affinity and see if the problem is solved.

From your description, though, it sounds like your problem may be caused by something other than Affinity's handling of color profiles.

Hi Jim 

My settings were exactly already that I uploaded a older image seemed ok not too dark then developed the raw image only for it to go really bright like a white texture had been added  very strange I haven't changed anything I use Affinity to edit raw files then finish in photoshop the dark tone of the uploaded image only goes like this on Affinity and as I say then goes white like almost a full vignette I hope it can be fixed as I don't see any problems my side :)

Thanks for helping :)

The uploaded image doesn't look white here only on Affinity :(

DSC_0678.jpg

@Margaret

I suspect it would be more useful if you were able to attach the actual original image file, rather than a screenshot.  That way, other users can test this on their machines and see what results they get.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

Hi Jeff

They aren't screen shots uploaded jpegs uploaded a Nef file now tried again earlier its not going all dark when I upload a raw file but still has the all over vignette when I develop it I clicked  documents  Assign ICC profile its on wsRGB  I change it to sRGB IEC6I966-2.1  then goes away but every file is doing it again same white covering like a texture :( hope you can help :) 

DSC_4489.NEF

On 2/1/2019 at 1:55 AM, Jim Weigang said:

Hi Jim, just to clarify this (I've replied to that thread you've linked), the "whites appearing yellow" issue is related to defective display profiles—usually profiles for specific monitors or laptop displays that are applied by default. Really, the manufacturers should stop providing these profiles because they don't work properly with colour managed applications.

Affinity Photo is not duplicating Windows's own colour management..

A quick search will turn up various threads demonstrating that the issue affects Photoshop too (which is also colour managed), for example:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2201870

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042198

Unfortunately, fixing the issue completely is expensive: ideally you need to purchase and use a colorimeter to profile your monitor or display. Colour managed applications can then use this to translate the document's colour values to the display accurately.

Changing the display profile to the sRGB device profile is just a temporary fix for a defective display profile, but for general purpose editing it's a satisfactory solution.

My settings were exactly already that I uploaded a older image seemed ok not too dark then developed the raw image only for it to go really bright like a white texture had been added  very strange I haven't changed anything I use Affinity to edit raw files then finish in photoshop the dark tone of the uploaded image only goes like this on Affinity and as I say then goes white like almost a full vignette I hope it can be fixed as I don't see any problems my side :)

Hi Margaret, I've downloaded the .afphoto file you've provided and to be honest I would recommend doing a complete app settings reset.

Somehow, you've managed to end up working in 16-bit but with a linear colour profile. Notice with DSC_4547.afphoto the colour profile says sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (Linear) — linear profiles should be reserved for 32-bit documents. Affinity Photo will only handle non-linear profiles with 8/16-bit documents. I'm not even sure how you managed to mix the two, since linear profiles are not usually available in 8/16-bit and vice versa.

Before resetting, would it be possible to screen grab your colour settings? You can find them under Preferences>Colour. Based on this:

They aren't screen shots uploaded jpegs uploaded a Nef file now tried again earlier its not going all dark when I upload a raw file but still has the all over vignette when I develop it I clicked  documents  Assign ICC profile its on wsRGB  I change it to sRGB IEC6I966-2.1  then goes away but every file is doing it again same white covering like a texture :(hope you can help :) 

I suspect you may have changed your default colour settings and somehow ended up mixing a linear colour profile into a non-linear document.

The best thing to do would be to launch Affinity Photo then immediately hold Ctrl. You should have a dialog box pop up with a series of checkboxes. Click "Select All" at the bottom then click Clear. This should reset all your colour settings and anything else besides. Now try loading in a RAW file and developing it without any further adjustments—does the issue disappear?

If you have any current images or documents affected by this, you should be able to fix them by going to Document>Assign ICC Profile and just choosing sRGB (make sure it doesn't have Linear after the profile name).

Thanks and hope to hear back from you!

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Looking for a manual/documentation? Check affinity.help for online help!

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more

500px for photography edited in Affinity Photo

57 minutes ago, James Ritson said:

Hi Margaret, I've downloaded the .afphoto file you've provided and to be honest I would recommend doing a complete app settings reset.

Somehow, you've managed to end up working in 16-bit but with a linear colour profile. Notice with DSC_4547.afphoto the colour profile says sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (Linear) — linear profiles should be reserved for 32-bit documents. Affinity Photo will only handle non-linear profiles with 8/16-bit documents. I'm not even sure how you managed to mix the two, since linear profiles are not usually available in 8/16-bit and vice versa.

I'm guessing they're probably using Affinity Photo 1.7.0.231 Beta, rather than retail.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/78446-raw-development-issue-170231/

39 minutes ago, - S - said:

I'm guessing they're probably using Affinity Photo 1.7.0.231 Beta, rather than retail.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/78446-raw-development-issue-170231/

Thanks, didn’t catch that as I typically use the Mac betas. In that case, I would either revert to 1.6 or if you want to continue to take advantage of 1.7’s improvements just assign a non-linear version of the same profile after developing.

I might still recommend a Ctrl-run up as there is mention of the Windows-specific wsRGB profile being used for the document which is a bit suspect...

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Hi guys 

I'm not getting the dialog box up when I press ctrl and yes I've always used the beta one the retail one not seen any updates for that for a while also I looked at that thread Raw development same issue I'm having.

IMG_20190208_194716.jpg

1 hour ago, Margaret said:

I'm not getting the dialog box up when I press ctrl

You need to hold Ctrl until you get the dialog box (or at least until you see the Affinity icon in the Windows task bar).

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.238 Beta

Hi Walt

Sorry I'm still not getting dialog box up :( I'll try using the retail one, maybe the beta one will be fixed soon :)

The beta is working fine :)

-- Walt

14 hours ago, Margaret said:

Sorry I'm still not getting dialog box up

I suspect there is a misunderstanding in the steps.  Try this step-by-step:

Note:  This will clear any swatches, brushes, macros, styles, etc. that you may have previously created.  So if you have any you want to keep, export them before resetting the settings so that you can re-import them again afterwards.

1) Close Affinity Photo

2) Navigate to where the Affinity Photo program icon is (such as in the Windows Start menu).

3) Press and hold the CTRL key on the keyboard.  Keep the key held down.

4) Click the Affinity Photo program icon to launch Affinity Photo (still keeping the CTRL key on the keyboard pressed down from step 3).

5) The 'Clear User Data' dialogue box should appear after maybe 5-10 seconds.  If you have any other programs open—such as a web browser to read these instructions— minimise or close them as the 'Clear User Data' dialogue box will likely appear behind them.

6) Click the 'Select All' button on the bottom left of the dialogue box.

7) Click the 'Clear' button on the bottom right of the dialogue box.

8) Affinity Photo should open with all the settings cleared and reset to the factory defaults.

001.thumb.jpg.47364587b3cf2d10da86c55a44367634.jpg

Thanks S 

Thx I got the dialog box up and set back to factory settings uploaded a image then develop it doing the same thing sadly went to docs to change the ICC profile but really shouldn't have to do that :(

59 minutes ago, Margaret said:

Thanks S 

Thx I got the dialog box up and set back to factory settings uploaded a image then develop it doing the same thing sadly went to docs to change the ICC profile but really shouldn't have to do that :(

Correct; you should not need to change the document ICC profile if you're having a tint problem. If you do need to do so, your monitor profile is probably incorrect, as MEB mentioned above.

-- Walt

Thanks S 

Hi Margaret, it's been mentioned above as a bug in the current Windows Photo beta—it's pretty high priority so should be fixed soon. The two options are to go back to 1.6, or once you've developed your image just use Document>Assign ICC Profile. You're correct that you shouldn't have to do it, but it is a bug and should be temporary (perhaps even fixed in the next beta) :)

Correct; you should not need to change the document ICC profile if you're having a tint problem. If you do need to do so, your monitor profile is probably incorrect, as MEB mentioned above.

From what I can gather her issue isn't the dreaded "white is yellow" that you get with defective display profiles—she's using the most recent Photo beta for Windows which incorrectly assigns a linear colour profile to the document rather than a non-linear gamma corrected one (causing the entire document to render incorrectly).