You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcuts

Hello,

Is there a keyboard shortcut list for Affinity Designer for iPad? 

I have already found the keyboard cheat sheet for the desktop version, but can not find anything about the iPad version. More specifically, I hope that there is a keyboard shortcut for deleting objects. 

• Staff

Hi SZTR,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm afraid there's no shortcut to delete objects in Affinity Designer for iPad. In the Affinity Designer Welcome Screen tap the "?" icon on the top right of the interface to access the Help. Search for Keyboard Shortcuts. You will find a topic with that exact name with all available keyboard shortcuts listed.

Did you notice the Trash icon on the bottom left of the interface? You can use it to delete objects (besides the one in the Layers Studio).

@SZTR This may be helpful if new to iPad Designer app. 

AE44CE4D-2BCD-48F9-97A6-AB9D6B9B6A85.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I second the need for a keyboard shortcut to delete. Having to tap the trash can icon when I want to delete something is cumbersome and breaks my flow. It’s also a different behavior from the desktop app so as a Pro user who uses both I have to pause each time I want to delete some element in Designer on my iPad and will always hit the Delete key several times before I realize that I have to tap the icon. If you’re worried about people accidentally pressing delete as you would on desktop and.. deleting something, maybe you could add a switch in the preferences to enable this function for those of us who just want to get our work done :)

On 1/31/2019 at 7:14 PM, SZTR said:

Hello,

Is there a keyboard shortcut list for Affinity Designer for iPad? 

I have already found the keyboard cheat sheet for the desktop version, but can not find anything about the iPad version. More specifically, I hope that there is a keyboard shortcut for deleting objects. 

You can use CMD-X to remove selected items as a work around for the delete key not working.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, MEB said:

Did you notice the Trash icon on the bottom left of the interface? You can use it to delete objects (besides the one in the Layers Studio).

This is a pain when you hide the UI while working.

Click top right to unhide, click bottom left to delete, click top right to hide UI again. (I mean, this is as far as you can reach across the app.

Versus: hit Delete key, which is ingrained because it works on the desktop version.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the above, I have spent about a week using affinity on i pad as a substitute to photoshop on the PC and im almost there in terms of speed, but the lack of a delete shortcut on the keyboard completely kills the flow. It seems like a very simple addition to make.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree with the other users above.  Enjoying the app but this seems like a silly issue..delete key on any external keyboard should delete objects or layer selections.  Having to use the trash can icon in the corner is inefficient, to put it lightly.  Looking forward to the fix! ;)

3 hours ago, KBeeN377 said:

Agree with the other users above.  Enjoying the app but this seems like a silly issue..delete key on any external keyboard should delete objects or layer selections.  Having to use the trash can icon in the corner is inefficient, to put it lightly.  Looking forward to the fix! ;)

Seeing this thread started in 2019, and nothings changed, I'm sorry to say you are looking far forward into the future.

21 hours ago, skmwrp said:

Seeing this thread started in 2019, and nothings changed, I'm sorry to say you are looking far forward into the future.

In a galaxy far, far away………… 😂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 months later...

It’s frustrating to say the least that we’ve had no response in over three years as to whether this (seemingly simple) feature will be implemented.

It’s a standard interaction that really should be there. The iPad is crying out for a quality design software, but having to deal with a lack of a delete keyboard shortcut is a major distraction to a designer’s workflow.

Vectornator is a free tool, and when you select an object and hit backspace, it deletes it.

Affinity Designer is a great piece of software and one of the few genuinely Pro level apps for iPad. There’s been some great updates, but don’t forget the little details that will make a big difference.

Edited by garethlewis

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, fernand0n said:

Wtf?! Still nothing? 

Why we moved on to using pen displays.

So much heartache fluttered away.

Would never pay for an update to the iPad version. And is the reason why we never purchased the iPad version of Photo.

We believe Serif/Affinity are circling the drain and it won't be long now. Which is sad.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, awakenedbyowls said:

There's a delete key on the iPad version?

Yes, if you have a keyboard that has one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

If I have a keyboard that has what - a key?

Feel free to say which one it is at any time - I've been after one of those since I got this software and thought we just had to use the bin icon on the app

I responded to (and quoted) your question to provide all the context my answer should need. You asked if iPads have a delete key, do that's the question I answered.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Would anyone else like to just tell me what or where the delete key is on the iPad?

On your (physical) keyboard.

-- Walt
PC: