Deadeyedox

[By Design] Problem with pen tool in Photo using a Wacom Intuos pro medium PTH 651

I am having a problem with selecting an area using the pen tool on my Macbook pro running OSX 10.11.6. with a Wacom Intuos pro model PTH 651 running the latest version of its software, downloaded today. My Affinity Photo is version 1.6.7. When I try drawing around and area by creating a series of node points it stutters and then creates a new curve layer. Even if I go round to the start point to join it up there is no completion of the circle. If I use a mouse to select an area that works O.K. but when I press select I get dancing lines on the two vertical sides of the picture, not around my selection. If at that point I click 'invert selection' the whole picture goes transparent. I'm sure that the first part of this problem is a bug and the second part I was following a video (not one of yours as I couldn't find one that showed using the pen tool to select an area.) and his worked and mine didn't. The latter could be something that I am doing but I have gone over it about 5 times and used different photos.

Dear Gabriel M,

Attached are 2 screen recordings. The first one is using my Wacom tablet, the second is when I use a mouse. The mouse one is slightly different to how I described previously but still not working as it should. Your help will be appreciated.

Dave.

P.S. Not sure why but one seems to have uploaded twice. Hope they both work.

Thanks. 

If you double tap/clock on an end node, it will stop that curve and start a new curve with your next point. And it looks like the same thing happens in your case. You might accidentally double tap/click. 

Dear GabrielM,

I Don't think that I am  accidentally double clicking but to get around that problem I have used the CMD Z  and then the  ALT key every time it tries to give me a new layer and this allowed me to complete an enclosed shape.The short screen recording that I have attached shows what happens when I click select and then invert selection. I thought that should give me dancing lines when I clicked select and it isn't it is giving me a blue box around the edge of the photo.

Regards,

Dave.

The selection is a different scenario. By default, any opacity below 50% will not make a "visible" selection. What you need to do is to use a solid colour with no opacity for your fill, untick the "use fill" or if you need opacity, use the opacity on that curve layer, rather than its fill colour. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:56 PM, >|< said:

Opacity greater than 0% will result in a selection with equivalent intensity. An absence of marching ants does not imply absence of selection. Marching ants enclose regions where the selection intensity is greater than 50%.

I've just updated the post. I wanted to say a visible selection (marching ants).:$

Dear Gabe,

Many thanks for your help. After quite a bit of playing around I can now get what I want to happen but only by changing the opacity at various stages of the process. It still seems to be more messy than what I have seen on various (non official) videos, such as the one that I am attaching a link to. All the other ones that I have looked at appear to do the same things as well.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbndRVJjh8A

Regards,

Dave.