You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add HYPERLINKS to PUBLISHER

Ah, but if there were only one thread about adding hyperlinks to Affinity Publisher and nobody had started another one, would Serif be developing the feature now at the same priority level?

It would be good if my idea in one of those threads about having a link and a QR code for it produced automatically as part of one optional choice becomes implemented.

Then if a PDF were published on the web and someone printed it out, then the link could still work from the hardcopy print out using a smartphone with a QR decoder in it.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

19 minutes ago, William Overington said:

It would be good if my idea in one of those threads about having a link and a QR code for it produced automatically as part of one optional choice becomes implemented.

I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing this in 1.7.0, but some flavor of it does seem like a good idea and I wouldn't be too surprised to see this in some version after that.

If Publisher gets to the point of producing apps directly from its documents then an embedded web view from a link would be another variant to consider.

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

If Publisher gets to the point of producing apps directly from its documents then an embedded web view from a link would be another variant to consider. 

Can you explain that please? So what is an app in this context please? Does "its documents" refer to a .afpub file? I do not understand what is "an embedded web view" or "an embedded web view from a link".

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

21 minutes ago, William Overington said:

So what is an app in this context please?

Exactly that.  An application that runs on some computer platform (or so-called "mobile devices") that is a self-contained representation of an Affinity Publisher document or a set of documents: for example, a digital magazine might use such an app that could download different editions of the magazine and display them.  A potential variation would be to create a "choose your own adventure" type story by limiting page navigation to links on the individual pages of the document.

24 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I do not understand what is "an embedded web view" or "an embedded web view from a link".

Think of a web browser, minus the user interface, that is a scrollable box on a page of a document.  Much like you can embed a picture or video file (PDF), you could embed a web browser that would start off at the page that was linked to.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm all for this too, but I think that the reason that development is slow on interactive pdf elements (hyperlink, video embed, etc) is because of the deep integration between the three programs (designer, photo, publisher).  It makes sense that they need to plan very carefully across all three in order to ensure that those elements are preserved properly when working across the entire line.  I'm guessing it's pretty complicated, so I'm happy they are planning to release first, then continue development (as much as I would LOVE for them to get interactive elements in)

SO, it'll be FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC when they start implementing interactive elements, but it'll also be great when they release the first stable version even if it is just focused on print.  Personally, I'm looking forward to using for both, but will stick with other software for pdf development until then.  I'm super happy with the beta for print projects already - designer + photo + publisher to make pages for printing out bookmarks for sale on etsy is SUPERBE.

I'll be buying day 1, the money is burning a hole in my pocket, Serif!