You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a screenshot of an iPhone and I would like to blur all icons except for one.

My first thought was using a Mask Layer, but no matter, where I put it, I were not able to get a blurry effect. Then I painted a rectangle with rounded corners and hoped to get it inverted somehow in order to create a form to put on top of the screenshot and to give it Gaussian Blur and a low opacity, but also did not succeed. Then I watched some videos on masks, which also did not point me into the right direction.

My approach - and there is probably a better solution for my demand - was to put a rectangle of the size of the screenshot on top of it. I gave it 50 % opacity (still no blur) and at least the picture looks "shaded" now. Then I painted a small rounded rectangle, but now I cannot find a way to "break a hole into my glass", if you know what I mean. I tried subtracting the two shapes, but it did not leave me with a big rectangle with a hole.

Any help is highly appreciated as always. :hug:

IMG_8827.PNG

screenshot.afdesign

Not sure if you were going to blur the background too or just the icons and their namings here? - However should be easy even in AD, if you switch over to the Pixel persona, duplicate the image pixel layer, dismiss the visability of the orig bottom background layer, so only your duplicate shows through and then use the blur tool there to blur the individual icons you want. Or make a pixel rect/layer on top and blur that one as needed.

blurred.jpg.6b378c998172b0e15953a5f6aa3eecdf.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Another way with masking is ...

1. Duplicate the image layer
  2. Perform a Gaussian Blur effect (FX Effects) on that duplicated layer
  3. Create a mask for that gaussian blurred layer underneath it
  4. Switch over to the pixel persona and use a black/white brush to blur/unblur certain icons you want on the underneath mask layer

with_masking.thumb.jpg.baae8036f7a55ddbb033a7ecbb6f31ab.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Similar technique to v_kyr.

822435636_ScreenShot2019-01-31at07_46_08.png.1823be0681728ee4e40d461cdf2e799d.png

FD styli.afdesign Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Here's another possibility without using pixel persona and is pretty simple.

1. Duplicate the image layer and make sure it's on top of the original image layer
2. Convert the duplicated top image layer to curves
3. Use the Square Rectangle tool to draw around the icon that you want to remain clear, including the text (same as shown in @firstdefence's illustration, but using the Square Rectangle tool).
4. Making sure the Rectangle layer is the top layer, select both the Rectangle layer and top image layer that you converted to curves, and click on Subtract. This will cut the 'hole' for the selected icon in the top image layer.
5. With the top image layer selected, apply a Gaussian Blur as desired and you will see the face blur, leaving the selected icon clear. In the image below, I used a 17px Gaussian Blur.

Blurring iPhone face to expose one icon.jpg

Thank you all very much for your examples! I tried them all (did not succeed with @Ballyshannon as my Pixels cannot be converted to curves) - and got really what I wanted! Kudos for all of you!

It became obvious to me that I still do not understand the principle of masking - guess I should watch some videos and consult the Affinity book again. The lack of understanding hinders me too often to thing into the right direction - and I do not want to bother you guys with too many simple / stupid questions.

Thanks a lot again!

#LoveAffinity

1 hour ago, Vince42 said:

I tried them all (did not succeed with @Ballyshannon as my Pixels cannot be converted to curves) ...

Well it's easy, just drag or place the image file inside so that on it's layer name it reads (image) instead of (pixel) here, then it should work!

46 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well it's easy, just drag or place the image file inside so that on it's layer name it reads (image) instead of (pixel) here, then it should work!

Exactly. Shouldn't be a problem. All I did is copy and paste the original image into Designer (Draw Persona) which created an "IMG" layer, and duplicated (Ctrl-J) that layer. In order to create the 'hole' in the duplicated layer using Subtract after drawing the rectangle around the icon, the image must be converted to curves. It doesn't matter if you convert the top IMG layer to curves before or after drawing the rectangle. Below is what the layers look like after drawing the rectangle around the icon on the top IMG layer. With the top IMG layer converted to curves, select both the top IMG layer and the (Rectangle) layer, click on Subtract and add a Gaussian blur to the top layer. Quick and easy.

Layer screenshot.jpg