Denny

Export to PDF results in artifacts when viewing pdf on Mac

When I export a document to pdf I’m sometimes met with strange artifacts if the pdf is viewed on a Mac running Preview. If I view the pdf on the Mac in an app such as Photoshop or Affinity Photo or Chrome it displays perfectly. The problem arises if I try to view in Preview or Safari or another built in, default Mac app. Running Sierra on the Mac though a client who tried to open the pdf on his Mac running Mojave had the same problem. 

Using the most recent versions of  Photo or Designer on the most recent version of iOS on an iPad Pro, 12.9” 2018 version. 

If I open the Affinity document on the Mac and export to pdf from the Mac version of Photo or Designer I get the same artifact.  Most recent versions of Designer and Photo are installed on the Mac.

Screenshots below... one as it displays on Mac with funky second logo... the other as it should be.

PNG image 6.png

Spring 2019 Postcard.pdf

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

Hi @Denny,

That sounds like a Mac Preview error, as I could not replicate it in any other app. 

If every other app is fine apart from Preview, I suggest you get in touch with Apple, or use a proper PDF viewer. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I suppose it could be a rendering bug on the Mac side of things but is that a certainty?  Is it not possible that their is an error in the pdf?

I also opened the pdf in Photoshop and Affinity Photo and then exported to  new PDFs, both displayed fine in the Preview app. Not that this necessarily proves anything, I’m just not sure I understand how it can be a certain thing that we know where the problem is. 

As a designer delivering lots of PDFs to clients who may be using  Macs,  it’s a problem that leaves me waiting to hear back that something’s not correct. Or, I can take the added step of previewing every pdf on the Mac. I’ll probably start doing that but it would be good to know that Affinity has made an effort to confirm that their isn’t something buggy in the PDFs it’s apps are producing. The Preview app is installed on every Mac and I think it qualifies for many as a “proper” pdf viewer. At the very least it is assumed by many such as my client that he can open up a pdf and that what he sees is accurate. 

I tried replicating it on several Macs, pc, different apps to open it, and I could not replicate this issue. That's why I'm saying it's a preview issue. 

What OSX version have you got?

No, I don’t have Acrobat installed, just preview. So, you’re saying that if you open that file with Affinity Photo on an iPad and export to pdf and open in Preview there are no artifacts? 

If so I guess it’s something wonky on my end. That fact that my client on a different Mac running Mojave is seeing it might indicate that it is something wonky  in the  export from my iPad? Just occurred to me that I should share that exported pdf too. Should have done that previously. 

This is the exported pdf (from AP on my iPad) that displays with errors on my Mac and my client’s Mac...

Gray Bear Funky Card.pdf

If it helps, these look fine in Safari, Documents and ICab browser previews on the iPad.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45