Denny

Resizing canvas does not work

When I try to resize a document canvas on Designer or Photo the resize does not take. So, if I try to resize an 11x17 to 11.25 x 17.25 after tapping the check mark I’m left with a document that is still 11 x 17. Repeatable. 

Using the most recent versions of apps on iPad Pro 12.9, 2018 running latest version of iOS as of 1-30-19.

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

On Resize context menu, tap the white triangle on right side of menu. Set size in new menu, turn off resample, press triangle on left side of menu, press tick. You can also change dpi (ppi) and measurement units here. If you forget to turn off resample you will lose some picture quality. After resizing you may need to do a snap to canvas to get canvas size and picture size aligned.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

You’re referring to resizing the Document whereas what I’m trying to do is resize the canvas. Or perhaps what you’re describing is a work around? In any case, I also tried resizing the document (as you describe) from 11 x 17 to 11.25 x 17.25 and that did not work. 

Use the dropdown menu to select Canvas instead of Document. You can see it working in attached screen vid.

On further investigation it doesn't display fractional changes. You can set the fractional sizing from new doc but only whole number changes appear to apply within the doc. I don't know if this is a bug or by design. 

Over to the mods now.....

From the Help Files.

To change the Document Size:

1. From the Document menu select Resize.

2. On the context toolbar, select the Resize option to be 'Document'.

3. Adjust your document dimensions using the Width and Height settings. To resize the width and height independently, tap the lock icon (to unlock) between these settings.

4. (Optional) Select a dierent measurement unit from the Units selector.

5. Choose a DPI and Sampler resampling method. Tap Resample to enable resample using the chosen sampling method.

6. Tap the check to resize.

To change the Canvas Size:

1. Repeat as for Document Size but choose the Resize option to be 'Canvas' instead.

2. Select an Anchor point which will resize the canvas 'under‘ the document from that anchor point.

3. Tap the check to resize.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.1 Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 Affinity Design 1.6.4.45

Yes, that’s it exactly. If this is by design it should be changed. I can’t imagine that it is uncommon to need to change sizes during the process of a project and that such size changes are likely going to involve fractions.

One work around if using Designer is to just use an art board which works as expected and is easy enough. This is not available in Photo though Designer/Photo documents can be passed back and forth between the apps so it would be possible to send a Photo document over to Designer, add an artboard then pass it back. 

Obviously the best solution would just be a fix to allow for fractional resizing. :26_nerd: