You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When are DAM/cataloging and tethering features coming to Affinity Photo

I wanted to find out if you have any plans to add photo cataloging features to Affinity Photo similar to those found in Adobe Lightroom or Capture One?  Skylum’s Luminar 3 product has implemented a DAM/cataloging features with its newest release Luminar 3 and this product competes directly with Affinity Photo.  Also, do you have any plans for a tethering feature? It would be nice to bring photos directly into Affinity Photo from a camera as one can do in Lightroom and ON1.

Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin
Creative Director, C E | PHOTOGRAPHY
M: 202.596.9436
E: chefseyephotography@gmail.com
IG: @chefseyephotography
W: https://chefseyephotography.zenfolio.com

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

Merci. I'll look into those threads.

Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin

"The guy who takes a chance, who walks the line between the known and unknown, who is unafraid of failure, will succeed" - Gordon Parks

• Staff

Hi dadisiolutosin,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As far as I'm know there's no plans to add DAM capabilities to Affinity Photo. We are however considering having an independent DAM application that will work seamlessly with our apps. I have no info about tethering support at this point. This have been requested a few times though.

Hi dadisiolutosin,

Luminar 3 doesn't compete with anyone until they have fixed all the bugs in the application including the DAM that they are developing now for one and a half year, Capture One is a pure Raw editor that I use every day. Affinity Photo is a allround Photo Editor that I use instead of Photoshop. So it's difficult to compare them with each other. A DAM would be nice, but there a several open source DAMS.

If you are looking for a good open source tethering application (I don't know what camera you use!) try this: digicamcontrol

You can combine it with Affinity Photo.

Regards,

David

For tethering software take a look here (check for the cams you have and want to use then):

A popular free/opensource platform independent photo management software is ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

49 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi dadisiolutosin,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
As far as I'm know there's no plans to add DAM capabilities to Affinity Photo. We are however considering having an independent DAM application that will work seamlessly with our apps. I have no info about tethering support at this point. This have been requested a few times though.

Okay. That sounds good. So you're planning to do something similar to the Lightroom?

Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin

10 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

For tethering software take a look here (check for the cams you have and want to use then):

A popular free/opensource platform independent photo management software is ...

Thank you. I will check these out.  I shoot with the Panasonic Lumix G85 and GX8. Panasonic has tethering software but it only works with their high-end models, the G9, GH4, and GH5/s.  The only thing they provide that works with the G7, G85, and other lower-end models is a mobile app. 

Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin

20 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Hi dadisiolutosin,

Luminar 3 doesn't compete with anyone until they have fixed all the bugs in the application including the DAM that they are developing now for one and a half year, Capture One is a pure Raw editor that I use every day. Affinity Photo is a allround Photo Editor that I use instead of Photoshop. So it's difficult to compare them with each other. A DAM would be nice, but there a several open source DAMS.

If you are looking for a good open source tethering application (I don't know what camera you use!) try this: digicamcontrol

You can combine it with Affinity Photo.

Regards,

David

Thank you. I will check these out.  Luminar 3 has a cataloging feature that I've tested but it's too damned slow.  I shoot with the Panasonic Lumix G85 and GX8. Panasonic has tethering software but it only works with their high-end models, the G9, GH4, and GH5/s.  The only thing they provide that works with the G7, G85, and other lower-end models is a mobile app.

Cheers,
---

Dadisi Olutosin

• Staff
9 minutes ago, chefseyephotography said:

Okay. That sounds good. So you're planning to do something similar to the Lightroom?

We are still far away from this. I don't have much info about the scope of it (limited to DAM functionality only or a full RAW developer with DAM functionality included).
The current focus is on improving the current suite of apps.

• 4 months later...

Affinity photo is a good rival to photoshop but I don't use it as it doesn't integrate with a decent DAM. Until that happens I can't use it. Serif are so close to toppling adobe in this area but without a lightroom alternative that can read affinity files it's not going to happen. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/26/2019 at 4:43 AM, Neil W said:

Affinity photo is a good rival to photoshop but I don't use it as it doesn't integrate with a decent DAM. Until that happens I can't use it. Serif are so close to toppling adobe in this area but without a lightroom alternative that can read affinity files it's not going to happen. 

I agree. I adore the Affinity raw tools but I just don't use them on the bulk of my photos because photographers prefer a seamless workflow. I'd be happy with even a really basic external DAM that previewed all the edited images (lossless) and allowed to paste adjustments to multiple files.
I tried Apple Photos and it's just a bit too basic and only really allows lossy edits with the affinity plugin. I tried Capture One which is a bit overkill (and costly). I'd really prefer to have something that allows Affinity photo to shine else it may get left behind by photographers (it's still amazing for intense graphical work of course)

Edited by Craig S

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 8:15 PM, chefseyephotography said:

I wanted to find out if you have any plans to add photo cataloging features to Affinity Photo similar to those found in Adobe Lightroom or Capture One?  Skylum’s Luminar 3 product has implemented a DAM/cataloging features with its newest release Luminar 3 and this product competes directly with Affinity Photo.  Also, do you have any plans for a tethering feature? It would be nice to bring photos directly into Affinity Photo from a camera as one can do in Lightroom and ON1.

I am using B8Stack Freeware for Tethering - works with Imaging Edge Desktop(for Sony only). There is no embedded tethering in AF

• 4 months later...

The big win for LR as a DAM and tether option is the syncing via Collections which is the main reason why I have to remain with LR.

My workflow often involves the client being in another location, sometimes on the other side of the world, when I shoot their work. With Collections a content editor can be sat in LA whilst I shoot their products in London. As the shot is taken it syncs via a collection that they have a secure link for, all generated by LR. They can instantly review as the image loads into the collection and syncs via WiFi. 

The big plus is the power of Creative Cloud that keeps everything contained and seamless.

Crack that and it’s goodbye Adobe Photography Plan.

Jon  

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2019 at 9:50 PM, MEB said:

We are still far away from this. I don't have much info about the scope of it (limited to DAM functionality only or a full RAW developer with DAM functionality included).
The current focus is on improving the current suite of apps.

I believe this is the right direction.  There are already many DAM / RAW applications that everyone will find something for their camera.

• 3 months later...

I don't! For me it is crucial to make my workflow work. I love Affinity Photo (and the other apps) and recommend them to everybody! But Affinity have to address the first part of the workflow when working with a photo shoot - ranking, selecting, adding meta data, working with the entire collection of photos from that shoot. The following part - processing the best shots is well supported today with Affinity Photo.