You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity printer profile and device preset relationship

Greetings,

Just installed a new printer (Epson XP55), calibrated it with a ColorMunki and results are very nice.

However it is not clear to me how to establish a relation between the Affinity print profile and a device preset. For example I created several profiles in Affinity Photo with names like GLL_10_15, GL_13_18 and GLL_A4 (short for Glossy Landscape size 10*15, 13*18 and A4). I also made Device presets for the Epson X55 with exactly the same names and just before saving a new Affinity Photo print profile, did select that device preset, then saved the Affinity Photo print profile.

I more or less expected that when I switch to a specific Affinity Photo print profile the corresponding Device preset would also be chosen, but this does not seem to be the case. I still have to click the Properties button right next to the printer selection listbox in the Affinity Photo Print window and choose the correct Device preset as well.

Am I expecting too much? Am I overlooking something? Any thoughts?

With kind regards, Aad Slingerland.

2 hours ago, Aad Slingerland said:

However it is not clear to me how to establish a relation between the Affinity print profile and a device preset ...

Affinity software itself doesn't create profiles like icc/icm profiles, so I assume you mean instead sort of template files or own/custom document presets here.

When you create a document in Affinity software you usually assign and specify it's purpose, so to say if a document for printing (print outs) or online web usage etc. So you specify the document format/layout to use and a working on screen color space to use (usually the default sRGB display working space) here. The working color space here is the one you are working internally with, inside the Affinity software.

Now when you export a document you can additionally specify (see the more button on the export formats panels) to use another document color space profile than the one used inside the document. - For printing the printer panel offers to assign (setup) a special custom printer icc profile to use. However an Affinity document usually doesn't know itself and assigns which printer profile to use here for printing, so the printer driver and print panel offers to use custom paper and printer related profiles here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks you for the clarification. However, my question is not about icc profiles. Therefore I include two screen shots with this reply. The first (dark window) screen shot is the window presented when choosing Menu, File, Print in Affinity Photo. The yellow highlight is the profile I selected and is meant for printing on 13 * 18 cm paper. The second screen shot (the light one) is the XP55 properties shown when I click the Properties button at the right of the printer selection listbox (XP55_WIFI). My point is that not a 13*18 printer preset has been activated now but the previously used A4 setting. It would be a nice if the correct printer preset was active now but it isn't. Still have to click here too to make it print on the right sheet of paper.

PS: It appears that the screen shots are in reversed order from my point of view.

XP55_preset_not_13_18.jpg

MenuFilePrint.jpg

As far as I can see your bottom screenshot (the dark panel) shows "Paper size: Defined by Driver", which suggerates somehow that the document printing size has to be setup by the Epson printer driver itself then. What happens if you change that to the size of the document which is hopefully 13 * 18 cm too then?

Further the yellow "AGLL_1318" profile looks like using a custom ICC printer profile here. Profiles are usually color space profiles (aka ICC profiles) and not to mixup with document size settings or the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2