You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any way to allow slices with same name to only export once?

Hi,

I create UI for work and we often have reusable elements in our designs; when these are exported they have the same name but different X Y coordinates on the page. I'd like to start using Affinity for this but there is a slight issue.

Currently when Affinity exports two Slices with the same name, it adds a number to the file name of the repeat slices. Is there a way to disable/override this? My goal is to have only one of the repeat slices exported but still have the coordinates for each in the Batch Builder export.

Also it would be great to have some more advanced control on the Batch Builder presets in future hehe

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

Hi,

not sure if you mean via batch processing or the Export persona as slices here? - However, for the export persona x/y coordinates can't yet be added automatically here as path variables, you would have to setup those manually as additional variables to use inside the path naming customization.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

not sure if you mean via batch processing or the Export persona as slices here? 

I was using Export persona. My problem is with exporting slices with the same name. 

for the export persona x/y coordinates can't yet be added automatically here as path variables, you would have to setup those manually as additional variables to use inside the path naming customization.

I don't want the x/y coordinates as path variables; I am getting them from the JSON Spline file from Affinity's "Batch Builder" drop down menu in the slices panel. However, they use the center point instead of the top left point, which isn't a huge deal but it's not what I would ultimately want. 

Either way, my problem is when two slices have the same name (ex: SLICE1) they both export and are named as SLICE1 and SLICE1_2. Is it possible to have only one export but have both sets of coordinates be included in the JSON Spline export?

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

AFAIK the JSON file generation contents isn't customizable, so if just one slice is generated/exported I doubt you can setup/force in the export options to get two JSON entries then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi Dclone2,

Welcome to the forums :)

14 hours ago, Dclone2 said:

Is it possible to have only one export but have both sets of coordinates be included in the JSON Spline export?

Unfortunately this isn't currently possible, both slices have to be exported to be included in the JSON file and you cannot override duplicate path renaming, apologies.

I'll move this thread to feature requests for our devs to see and consider!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!