You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Firstly: I've only had a chance for a relatively brief look at Affinity and, thus far, this is closer to being an Illustrator replacement than anything I've seen so far. I'm already turning over in my head whether I can move my workflow over when this comes out of beta. Good work by everyone involved.

I know everyone has quirks to their workflow, and pleasing everyone will be an almost impossible task, but I have a couple of specifics that are potential deal-breakers and I was wondering whether I'd just missed them or if I need to add a feature request.

Black. I need black to be K100 unless I specify otherwise.

Overprinting. I need to be able to control whether an object's fill and stroke overprint or not, and I need to be able to control them separately.

Are there controls for these that I've missed…?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Jim

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/20/2014 at 4:53 AM, Jim_Campbell said:

Firstly: I've only had a chance for a relatively brief look at Affinity and, thus far, this is closer to being an Illustrator replacement than anything I've seen so far. I'm already turning over in my head whether I can move my workflow over when this comes out of beta. Good work by everyone involved.

I know everyone has quirks to their workflow, and pleasing everyone will be an almost impossible task, but I have a couple of specifics that are potential deal-breakers and I was wondering whether I'd just missed them or if I need to add a feature request.

Black. I need black to be K100 unless I specify otherwise.

Overprinting. I need to be able to control whether an object's fill and stroke overprint or not, and I need to be able to control them separately.

Are there controls for these that I've missed…?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim et al, 

I realise that Jim's post is from 3 years ago, but I'd like to share my trapped files produced in the latest version of AD. 

I have no idea if actual trapping controls for individual objects has been implemented, perhaps I missed that memo! 

However, as you will see from both the AD file and the PDF, I have achieved editable trapping for individual objects by using 'Darken' on the objects that I need to trap and layering them above the object that they trap into. 

The varying amounts of trap is a function of the amount of stroke applied to the objects. 

The black cat below the trapping objects has the original object shapes knocking out of it in white, so only the stroke will trap. 

I have been using Illustrator since AI5.5 on a PPC Mac. I've noticed that some designers who use Illustrator use this same method of trapping also, even though overprinting strokes is the standard! 

Just thought this might be a convenient workaround for those who produce for print and need to supply trapped spot colour PDF files… 

:206_cat:

Affinity_Cat-Pantone-Trapped.pdf

Affinity_Cat-Pantone-Trapped.afdesign