You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running Affinity Photo on a desktop with WIN7 64bit installed.
I'm having a problem that I don't have with any other app: the shortcut keys (Ctrl-J, Ctrl-W, Ctrl-V, etc.) will suddenly stop working. Can not figure out the steps taken that go before it stopping.

Works the same in retail as in beta version.
I changed the physical keyboard to a plain run-of-the-mill keyboard, and went back to the default keyboard setup with AP. Same behavior.

I have to quit the program and restart AP.

Any ideas how to stop this behavior?

Hello @jsmith51,

Try the following.
1. Press Win + R and key in the command cmd
2. Key in the command sfc / scannow and then Enter.
   This command will, detect and repair damaged files or errors on your computer.

Restart the computer and check if copy / cut / paste works.
If not, then you can uninstall the keyboard driver and reinstall.

1. Start the system control
2. Click on "Device Manager" and then "Keyboards"
3. A right click on the keyboards and  uninstall the keyboard driver.
4. Restart the computer, the system redetect the keyboard and will reinstall the keyboard driver.

maybe this helps, good luck.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Do you get a beep out of the computer? Or is the keystroke completely ignored?  I use a mac but if certain windows are open like the FX panel or Color Chooser then some keystrokes are ignored but I get a beep.  cmd C, cmd V are a couple of these but cmd J and cmd S always work.  If you have any panels open that are not controlled by the View > Studio > try closing them to see if the keyboard starts reacting properly.  Good luck.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

7 hours ago, jsmith51 said:

the shortcut keys (Ctrl-J, Ctrl-W, Ctrl-V, etc.) will suddenly stop working

Are those still associated in the AP keyboard shortcut settings, are there entries for those in the keyboard shortcut Edit preferences? - And what physical keyboard are you using, some MS or Logitech with a customizable software driver?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The problem keystrokes are associated in the AP keyboard shortcut settings and I am using the default keyboard that came with AP.

There is a standard keyboard installed. Was using an old Omni keyboard, but switched it out for a generic Dell, then a Packard Bell from the thrift store!

Now the system says I'm using a generic keyboard and driver, BUT also have a "mini keyboard" installed. I uninstalled it but it returned when I plugged the USB interface back in. It is a small remote keyboard used primarily to update an internet page I am tasked with keeping tabs on, even when I'm not near the computer. I didn't associate it with a keyboard as I don't use that function. Made by FAVI Entertainment

Could that be it? Doesn't seem likely but...

mini keyboard properties.jpg

fe01_(with-backlight).pdf

Hard to tell from far away, you have to test and check. - Also you can test if maybe that mini keyboard might then work correct for the above named keys with Affinity or if it's influencing the key types in some way here due to maybe resident drivers or the like.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

When is this keyboard shortcut problem going to be resolved? I have the problem with both Design and Photo. Sometimes the keyboard shortcuts work, other times they do not. Resetting the keyboard shortcuts in the settings makes no difference. My keyboard works just fine, that's how I'm typing this. And I have no keyboard shortcut with any other programs.

Donald

Donald, Just so I know where I might look for a solution: Would you please tell me if you have a mini keyboard installed?  I'm very frustrated by this. As an example, I will have been saving the file all along as I work, only to find out the keystrokes aren't working.  Grrrr....  

And it is hard to believe that we are the only two folks this is happening to. I realize I bought a bargain-priced software, but I still expect it to work!

Joan

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately, no, I never received a cure, but tried all the suggestions. I have re-installed, updated Affinity, changed computers and, of course, changed keyboard to no avail. In changing to a new computer, also ditched the mini keyboard.

I have gotten so used to it, I save my work and restart as a matter of course. I am not happy with this inconvenience, but as I said, it is a bargain-priced software.

It is bargain-priced software but that's no excuse. @Affinity advertises their software as 'Professional Creative Software', their words, and so naturally one would not expect such a multitude of bugs in the software, bugs that seriously impede workflow. Publisher crashed on me yesterday and minutes before it crashed I manually saved my work, when I reopened, I had lost about the last two hours worth of work. Not acceptable.

I just find it strange that only a very very small handful of people seem to be having this issue of key presses not being recognised. Normally any system bug is widely experienced and what makes it stranger is that as you've described (and as I've found) my keyboards work absolutely fine in other software including ahem, Adobe as well as all browsers. I've never experienced this problem ever, with any software, Windows or macOS. If it was some Bluetooth connectivity issue then the issue would be present in other applications.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

MacBook Pro 2.9GHz, 16GB, 4GB GPU, macOS 11.7.8

Affinity Designer 1.10.6, Affinity Photo 1.10.6, Affinity Publisher 1.10.6