You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dictionaries in separate location than the app package?

I made a Swedish hyphenation dictionary from the Open source files at Libre Office, but it's getting tedious to install them in the actual application package every time the beta expires and there's a new version available. Couldn't the language dictionaries be stored somewhere outside the app package? For instance in a /Documents/Affinity/Dictionaries/ folder.

I attach the Swedish hyphenation dictionary folder for anyone who wants to use it when trying out Publisher.

sv-SE.zip

I think you're on a Mac, from the path name you provided. In that case, I wonder if you couldn't install them in your system, rather than in Affinity?

(On Windows, Affinity has a separate place that users can install their dictionaries, or the user can choose their own location for user-added dictionaries. But I think Affinity works differently on Mac because there it's tied into services provided by MacOS that don't exist on Windows. But that may just be for spellchecking, not for hyphenation, I suppose.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On the Mac, Affinity products have traditionally been sold on the app store and cannot install files outside of their application bundle.

It may be possible to support having user-installed dictionaries and the like in another location, but Serif would obviously need to comment on that one.

I'm using the Mac version.

Did you mean  /Users/user/Library/Spelling/

I tried this. Did not work, other than Swedish showing up as a language choice for text.

Hyphenation only works if the sv-SE folder is inside the application bundle.
Contents/Resources/Dictionaries

On 2/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, Rabari said:

Clearly not. What @Dave Harris said was:

On 1/30/2019 at 9:53 AM, Dave Harris said:

For example, I have one at /Users/dharris/Spelling/hu-HU/hyph_hu_HU.dic.

So put your dictionary in /Users/YOUR NAME/Spelling/dictionary type/dictionary

But I agree that it would be great to be able to put a new dictionary in ~/Users/user/Library/Spelling/

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I was asking, as creating a Spelling folder inside my user folder did not work. As did not, eventually, using the Spelling folder in the /user/Library folder.

I can get hyphenation working only by installing the hyphenation dictionary directly into the app bundle. Tedious.

• 2 weeks later...

My +1 for this request.

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, Rabari said:

I'm using the Mac version.

I tried this. Did not work, other than Swedish showing up as a language choice for text.

Hyphenation only works if the sv-SE folder is inside the application bundle.
Contents/Resources/Dictionaries

Sorry, yes; I missed the "Library" portion.

Publisher doesn't care which folder it finds the dictionary in, as long as it finds it. And if it is offering Swedish as a Hyphenation language, then it is finding it. Are you setting it via the Hyphenation option, or just setting the Spelling language and leaving Hyphenation at auto?

• 4 weeks later...

Setting via Hyphenation option.

It's great that Publisher finds it, after I manually, and every time the app is updated, install the hyphenation file in the Application bundle.

The problem is not that I can't get hyphenation working. My point is that mucking about in the Application Bundle has never been a recommended activity, and certainly nothing you would instruct inexperienced users to do every time the app is updated.

So the shipping version should recognize other places. The user/Library/Spelling folder would be better, even if it resides in the (nowadays) hidden Mac Library folder.

1 hour ago, Rabari said:

The user/Library/Spelling folder would be better, even if it resides in the (nowadays) hidden Mac Library folder.

Go to your Home folder and hit the key command "Command + J" this will bring up the View options for that folder, there is a checkbox for Show Library Folder. You can also do the old "hold down Option while clicking on the Go menu item on the Finder's menu bar" trick.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.