You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can only draw straight lines with wacom tablet

I'm new to Affinity and I like it so far, except that I can't seem to paint :( I can only draw straight liines with any brush I choose. I can draw with the mouse however.

I"ve tried restarting my computer and Affinity. Once, with I dropped a bitmap into affinity, it started working again for a little while and I could draw as normal. 

It's as though shift is stuck when I go into affinity (but it isn't and I can draw easily in other paint software).

any help fixing this would be very much appreciated! thanks ^^

https://gyazo.com/61c018f82f17c3d0e2866de5540e5ac4

• 8 months later...

Hello, i found myself getting into the exact same problem. It is not caused by shift, for some reason when i just hover above the tablet (Wacom Intuos M BT) with the pen, the brush disappears (the icon, not when drawn). Sending you the picture is pointless because it looks exactly the same as the picture shown in the post. When i try to draw i connects the point where i started drawing and the point when i ended. I can record a video if wanted. Thanks, Niko.

• Staff

Hi @vojtik.zacek,

Welcome to the forums. 

This is a known issue. 

If you're using a Wacom Tablet and change focus (using Alt+Tab) to a different application and then click in the Designer UI (not the document area) to return the focus, the tablet will start to draw straight lines from start to end point, and the move tool will stop working.

If you Alt+Tab and click in the document area to return the focus it will function correctly.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Wacom Tablet starts drawing straight line after changing focus) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. However, you will need to enable Windows INK inside the Wacom Mapping tab. 

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem with a Yiynova drawing monitor.  I know it's not a stuck shift key because it only happens with the pen and not the mouse.  Alt-Tab did nothing, restarting (both the program and the whole computer/monitor) does nothing.  The only thing that had any affect was swapping the "coordinate" setting from Absolute to Relative and back and that only worked for about 5 seconds before going back to drawing straight lines again.

Also, I'm on 1.8.4.693 if that makes a difference.  Looks like this issue still hasn't been fixed and none of the proposed solutions worked in my case.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Edited by Loonilate
clarification

• Staff

@Loonilate

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

To all readers of this thread I suggest if you are still experiencing problems when using 1.8.4.693 that you try the new options that have been added into Windows 1.8.5 customer betas which allows tablet input preference (in Tools section) to be Low Precision mode, High Precision mode, or Windows Ink mode

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Is there a way to resolve this if you are using a mac? I can't seem to use any tools at all without it shooting a straight line across my work (was using the clone tool and has cloned a whole line rather than just the bit I wanted to do). I am on the trial version of affinity photos, was thinking of buying it but now I'm not so sure! 

Edited by sarahlk

• Staff

Hi @sarahlk,

This thread is related to Windows issues(which should have been fixed in the latest 1.8.5 beta). If you have issues on your Mac, can you create a new thread here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/, and make sure you include your setup (macOS version, what tablet you're using, a screen recoding of what you're doing). :)