You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trouble with Spot Color Channel on Export

Working with Publisher 1.7.0.227

I've placed a greyscale image in Publisher. I've used a Gradient Map filter to map two Pantone spot colors to the image (one spot for the dark tones, one spot for the light tones). I've also drawn two rectangles on the page and filled each with the respective spot colors used to recolor the greyscale image. 

Having exported the document as a PDF with "Honor spot colors" selected, I get a PDF document where the colored image separates out onto the four standard process color plates (CMYK) rather than onto the expected spot color plates. The spot color filled rectangles do however separate correctly onto their respective spot color plates.

This appears to be an ongoing bug in Publisher. 

Generally, I see nothing in the help files for any of the three Affinity apps (Photo, Designer, Publisher) that clearly explains how to apply spot colors in such a way that the colors will correctly separate out onto the correct spot color plates for offset printing. Please give special focus to spot color handling and control in the Affinity apps prior to releasing the official 1.7 versions.

Test 02.pdf

But...aren't all layer effects exported according to the document color mode? If so, I don't understand how a basically duo-tone/multi-channel image can ever export without separating into the document color mode. I don't believe Affinity products support either duo-tone or multi-channel images at this time.

It can be faked so that an image can have both spot colors but the results, to me, are not desirable.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.