You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which Affinity application are you using? The mode is only applicable to Affinity Photo, not Affinity Designer.

If Photo, can you attach a screenshot of your application window?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not sure if it's the same on a mac, but in Windows you can either right click on the file and choose "open with Affinity Photo", or, if you already have it open in Designer, go to File then "open in Photo".

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

You can also start Photo, then use the menu File > Open to open your file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

These responses all assume that you have Affinity Photo installed. Do you? If you don't, then none of them will work!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks.

It seems that I must be in Affinity Designer not Photo, but am pretty  befuddled about the difference (you may have noticed!). I signed up to (I thought) to Affinity Photo and the tutorials (or many of them) relate to Photo. But when I open the file it says Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135.

Christopher

5 minutes ago, chris perrins said:

It seems that I must be in Affinity Designer not Photo, but am pretty  befuddled about the difference (you may have noticed!). I signed up to (I thought) to Affinity Photo and the tutorials (or many of them) relate to Photo. But when I open the file it says Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135.

Do you have both Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer installed on your computer? If so, by default a file with the .afdesign extension will open in Designer, but you can open it in Photo instead using any of the techniques mentioned above.

Also, it would help if you told us if your computer is a Mac or a PC.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Ok. Thank you. In that case the Crop Tool is object based, not document based. It has NO options in the context toolbar and only crop the current selected object.

The Mode control you were referring to is only available in the Crop Tool in Affinity Photo which is document based and crops the whole document as you are probably used to from other apps.

• Staff

Hi chris perrins,
Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are two different programs. Affinity Designer is a graphic/web/ui design/illustration software while Affinity Photo is a RAW developer/converter and photo editing app (you can also use it for raster painting/illustrations).

Do you have bought Affinity Photo for Windows? If so go to the Windows start menu, search for "Affinity Photo" in the input field on the bottom, then click the program's icon to launch it from the list. If you don't have it you can download a trial from directly from here.

Dear MEB,

Thank you very much for your reply and continued patience.

It now seems clear that somehow I must have purchased Affinity Designer not Affinity Photo.

I made my purchase on 4/5/2017,  [product key removed for privacy reasons] (note year; because I could never seem to get it working I rather gave up trying unitl recently).

I have no idea how I came to get issued the wrong one especially since I was not aware that there were two different programs.

What to do now?

Christopher

• Staff

Hi Christopher,
We do provide a refund when a user is not satisfied with the software within a 14 day period after the purchase but I'm afraid we can't do much in this case since the program was purchased last year. The only thing I can suggest is to send an e-mail to
 affinityorders@serif.com with your name and order number and explain the situation but it's unlikely they will be able to do much at this point, sorry.

Note: I've removed the product number for privacy reasons. The product key is just for you to activate the program (along with the registered e-mail). Please don't share it publicly on a forum.