You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: Basic selecting, deleting, pasting issues

I'm so impressed with Affinity products that I cut the cord with Adobe to force myself into the learning curve, figure out the differences, etc. But there is something I must be doing wrong. If there's a video or tutorial on this, just point me to it unless it's an easy explanation. I'm basically looking for something that explains how Photo works differently than PShop in this basic area.

If I import or open an image, (in this case, a .jpg from my iphone camera),  it appears that I have to go to the layers drop down and rasterize it before I can edit it. Sometimes the layer palette calls it an "image" sometimes a "pixel."

If I lasso a selection and copy and paste, it works sometimes, but sometimes I get a black background layer as the new pasted layer.

There seems to be something fundamental to how Photo works that is vastly different to a simple import, cut, paste in Photoshop. Any direction would be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, moonliner said:

If I import or open an image, (in this case, a .jpg from my iphone camera),  it appears that I have to go to the layers drop down and rasterize it before I can edit it. Sometimes the layer palette calls it an "image" sometimes a "pixel."

If you open the jpeg with Affinity Photo you should get a "(Pixel)" layer. If you use the place command or drag & drop to add the file to an existing Affinity document you get an "(Image)" layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, moonliner said:

Sometimes the layer palette calls it an "image" sometimes a "pixel."

If Open file, then Pixel (work with rasterized image). If Place file, then Image (work with object). 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi moonliner,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer only), the File ▸ Place command (Designer and Photo) or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a Pixel layer type (as you are used to from other programs) which you can then manipulate at a pixel level/copy/paste to another layer's.