You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Locating/Replacing Linked Files

Is it possible to use the replace function in the Resource Manager window  to replace more than one linked/embedded file at a a time?

I have a folder with about 25 linked files and if the folder is moved or its name changed it seems I have to replace each file individually, which is a pain.

The Adobe programs allow you to select a folder and then the program looks in that folder for all the missing files, which means that most of the time it is only one action rather than (in this case) 25.

Yes...

exactly..  this was hurting me too...   there are several funktions that have to be improved here...    replace from folder,  open file in Windows explorer would be good too..     copy embeded files to the following folder and link it from there...     also i just dont understand, why  a document with linked files got the same size as a document with embeded files..   as far as i have read, the files allways stay in publisher, but it recognises that theres some lets say master-file out there, so when this changes, the file in publisher can be reloaded from there...  This is a behavior that can lead to very big files, and thats not what i would think, linking should do...

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Designer123 said:

I just moved a lot of linked files and have no idea how to relink them.  Affinity publisher does not even let me know that the link is broken.  Only when I try to export the file does it give me an error message.....

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 4.43.40 PM.png

That's not the usual error message you'd get when exporting. That looks more like an issue with the path name to the output file, or something else. That path name seems quite long. Perhaps shortening it would help.

When you open the Resource Manager does it show that the files are Linked and Missing?

If so, you can replace them one by one using the Resource Manager. Or, if you have the file and reopen it, you should get a prompt about the missing files. If you respond Yes, and find one of the files, Publisher will update the links for all of the files that are in the same directory.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

hi Walt,

Thanks for your reply.  The resource manager will replace the files one by one but even though all the files are in the folder publisher is not updating the remaining files.  But here is the kicker.  Every time I close and reopen the file, I have to relink the images...  Not sure what is going on?

3 minutes ago, Designer123 said:

The resource manager will replace the files one by one but even though all the files are in the folder publisher is not updating the remaining files.

That's why I said to reply Yes when you get the popup. The popup gives 3 choices: No, Yes, and Resource Manager. Say Yes. The "find them all at once" processing is not built into the Resource Manager, but it is build into whatever "Yes" gets you.

5 minutes ago, Designer123 said:

Every time I close and reopen the file, I have to relink the images...  Not sure what is going on?

I'm not sure what's happening there, either. But if you're still unable to Save the overall .afpub document that would explain it. So if you're still having that problem that's the first thing you need to resolve, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1