You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ohhhh..... what a great Tool ... wouldnt it be nice ...

Hi Everyone,

Maybe this is someting widely out of mainstream Wishes in Affinity Photo..  But maybe, maybe there are many other 3D Artists out there, that would like to see this..   So .. What do i wish..

I Would very much appreciate   "Cryptomatte"    its a fileformat, engeneered for Rendered images in 3D Programes, that have to simulate Reality..       In this FREE available File Format, all the conted of a 3D Rendering automatically produces Masks, and Channels for selectiing   "All" available Contend of the rendering...   all objects  you want, all materials,  What ever you need.

Point is, this process to produce all needed masks beforehand in 3D Applications was extremly cumbersome , slow , uggly...     But, now we have     CRYPTOMATTE...     Even Adobe hasnt got it..

Dear Develloper from Serif... if you would like to get all the 3D People on your Boat,.  .. implement it to Affinity Photo.   Even Adobe lucks of it. So this would be a great feature...

The following youtube video, shows how Vray one of the most advanced Rendersystems for 3ds max and also many other 3D Packages makes use of this format, which is.... As said free available.

For those who want to try this out for themselves, the upcoming Blender 2.8 (beta can be downloaded) includes Cryptomatte as well - for free! And with the built-in compositor it is easy to convert these cryptomattes to masks.

Download the 2.8 beta here: https://www.blender.org/2-8/

Yes..  and by the way..  

Cryptomatte was develloped from a company, using Blender  that  had to compose massive stuff for the netflix animation film "Next Gen." It was the first time that Blender could proove, it is capable to produce featuere length animations. So while i am a Veteran 3Ds Max User,  i  get more and more impressed from Blender.  

"Tangent Animation" the company who did this film, develloped Cryptomatte,  and because The whole idea of Blender is Comunity they gave it Back to the comunity..

Thats why so many Renderengines and Video Compositing Tools do have it now.. 

But i dont know any Image Editing Software that can use Cryptomatte..   So  Serif...  that would be your Chance..     

Yes, all true, excepting one thing: Next Gen wasn't the first feature length animation done in Blender. The same studio produced Ozzy with Blender in 2016. Even before this time Plumíferos, a feature length Argentinian animation film,  was released in 2010 in Argentina. (And before that the production team of Secret of Kells, released in 2009, used Blender for a number of scenes as well, but only for small parts.)

Anyway, yes, I wholeheartedly agree that Cryptomatte support in Photo would be great, but I am afraid it is too 'niche' for Serif to do so soon, if ever.

PS The Blender devs are finishing up "industry standard" mouse and keyboard controls, so you should be able to seamlessly transition from Max to Blender 2.8 soon. 2.8 is looking great!

Yes.  I allready installed 2.8 after seeing the incReadible Preview of  the 2.8 Viewport.. 

Eevee is realy  a great tool as a viewport realtime rendersystem and also for many toon like renderings, that doesnt need photoreralistic  Vray irradiance cache light transport scattering wavelength baseed.... you name it..   algorithms..

The new interface also looks good.  But still the shortcuts feel like a bomb exploded in them.    The Modifier Stack isnt as advanced as max modifier stack, but does the job..  But we´ll see what  "everything nodes" will deliver to us.. esp. becaus modifier nodes maybe will implement modelling options, max could only dream of..  hope so.. 

Arr... have to stop here.. its not a  Blenderr forum...

But cryptomatte would be nice... in Affinity.

9 hours ago, Tom Schülke said:

Hi Pille...  (so Bones get Called in Germany... :D)  thanks...  

Where could i put possibly suggestions if i wished so...  for blender ?

I don't believe an official feature request place exists, but you could try these:

https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/

https://lists.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-funboard

https://blenderartists.org/

The last one is visited by developers, but the first one is probably your best bet.

PS Spitznamen sind oft ein Wirrwarr in verschiedene Sprachen. Als Kind habe ich immer Raumschiff Enterprise aufs Deutsch ferngesehen. Später musste ich mir dann an die Englische Version gewöhnen. War nicht leicht. ;) Die Deutschen Stimmen von Doris Day und Quincy hören sich noch immer besser an.

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 11:30 AM, Medical Officer Bones said:

the upcoming Blender 2.8

For those of you who have looked at Blender before and given up due to the bizarre UI, rejoyce!

2.8 has a totally new UI and, wait for it, now uses the left mouse button for selection.

Old UI:

image.png.fd779968b6664ad891994b2e69d04656.png

New UI:

image.png.d79fd858b46e064edf1f9908145ddb42.png

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think this is a great idea and would certainly push Photo over the line ahead of Photoshop. I think we are going to see a lot more use of Cryptomattes and having an image editor like Affinity Photo with support built in would be a big plus for Serif.

Would be super cool indeed but I am afraid we wouldn't see it anytime soon.    AP should support cross-layer linking first in any form. Besides the way AP open layered exr is pretty useless  currently. It makes a gazilion layers from a typical cryptomatte ones.

It's still possible to work with old styled material ID  or object ID AOV/ passes by means of  "Black and white" adjustment layer  and its picker.  You could pic any id color and by moving picker around turn it into white or black basically keeping only one thing white.    Having it all in a certain layer mask stack could still be pretty non destructive.

So it's kind of working but not even close to how cryptomatte process AA and blurred edges.   Once you tried cryptomatte   you never want it old way anymore.

ps. I have a kind of an impression  Blender would become a suitable  image editor first , before AP or Adobe  would implement it.     In fact  Blender have brushes and manual painting  capabilities. It's pretty close to be a perfect solution to edit images.   Wish somebody would do such an addon or something

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 5:36 AM, Seabeer said:

Also for affinity 2.0 the option of a node based workflow would be a dream as well.

As much as I do love a node-based workflow, it would not be a good fit for the Affinity products, though I could certainly see possibly adding an adjustment layer that incorporated one...

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, casterle said:

For those of you who have looked at Blender before and given up due to the bizarre UI, rejoyce!

2.8 has a totally new UI and, wait for it, now uses the left mouse button for selection.

I want to learn to use it, so I can do crazy stuff and then export it as Vector.

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...