Anonymoose

Date and time wrong on export to jpg (since the new year)

Version 1.6.5.123

Exporting from an afphoto (correct date and time) to jpg gives the file a wrong data and time of 01/01/2003. Only on jpg. The other formats seem to export  correctly.

As per the above link, there are various different dates.  If you right-click the jpg image and go to 'Properties', where is the 01/01/2003 date showing?

001.jpg.0508d376c9354da2e41f7327444b839a.jpg

If it's showing in the 'Date Taken' field, then this date has likely come from somewhere else rather than Affinity Photo:

– If you create a new blank document in Affinity Photo (such as an art project), when you export the file Affinity Photo doesn't populate a 'Date Taken' field, it just leaves it blank.  (See HERE).

– If you open a file in Affinity Photo that already has a 'Date Taken' field populated (for example, opening a photo that has come from a camera, or an image that was exported from another image editing application such as Photoshop), then Affinity Photo just passes the 'Date Taken' field through—unless you export it without embedded metadata.

Therefore I would check where the original image came from and see if the 2003 date is coming from the 'Date Taken' field of the original image.

2 hours ago, Anonymoose said:

Here you go then, my lovlies.

The afphoto, and exported gif, jpg and png. What do you think of that then? :-)

The same as above.  It's because the original image the document was started with came from a Minolta DiMAGE G500 camera and the 'Date Taken' field of that original image was 2003-01-01 00:00:51.

If that metadata isn't important, you can remove it from the .afphoto file by pressing the delete icon in the EXIF panel (you can make the EXIF panel visible by going to View > Studio > EXIF).  Then when you export as jpg, the file won't have a 'Date Taken' field anymore and Windows File Explorer will use the Created/Modified/Accessed dates instead.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the original Minolta DiMAGE G500 metadata in the .afphoto file, when you export the image you can click 'More' in the jpg export dialogue box and untick the 'Embed metadata' option.

002.thumb.jpg.5140e09ba7c4d78ed46111eb78754abd.jpg

That's great. Many thanks for all the information. It was just a bit confusing that the other formats registered the present date, but the jpg took the original values of the background. When sorting by date, I wondered why I couldn't see the output at the top of the list, it being hidden inside the rest of the files. Something to pass through to the developers to consider? It would have saved me some time in previous searches.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:06 AM, Anonymoose said:

That's great. Many thanks for all the information. It was just a bit confusing that the other formats registered the present date, but the jpg took the original values of the background. When sorting by date, I wondered why I couldn't see the output at the top of the list, it being hidden inside the rest of the files.

Yeah, it is confusing.  I'll try to break it down as best as I can in two parts.

The Windows File Explorer 'Date' Column:

The primary reason for the inconsistencies you're seeing is due to the ambiguous nature of the 'Date' column in Windows File Explorer.  The 'Date' column isn't a specific date; it gets the date from various different places.  It will try to use 'Date Taken' from the EXIF metadata, if that doesn't exist then 'Date Taken' from IPTC/XMP metadata, and if neither of those exist it will fall back to using the 'Date Modified' date, which is one of the basic Date Created/Date Modified/Date Accessed file timestamps (shown on the left in my original screenshot above).  The problem is 'Date Taken' and 'Date Modified' act completely differently, which is why you see inconsistencies in that column.

– 'Date Taken' from the EXIF metadata is a constant date that doesn't normally change after the image is created.  In the case of a camera, when the photo was taken (01/01/2003 in your case).

– 'Date Modified' will change every time you export the file.

So in your case, because the image file contained a 'Date Taken' entry in the EXIF metadata, Windows File Explorer would use that in the 'Date' column.  If you remove the EXIF metadata from the .afphoto file and then export to JPEG, or export to JPEG with 'Embed Metadata' turned off, then Windows File Explorer will fall back to using the 'Date Modified' timestamp instead.

When creating an art project (rather than editing a photo) it would be best to start with a new blank affinity file set to the required colour format, dimensions, etc. that you want the final output to be, and then add images to it by using File > Place.  This way the .afphoto file won't contain any EXIF metadata from the start.

However, perhaps the technically correct solution for you would be to add a 'Date Modified' column in Windows File Explorer and sort by that column instead of using the 'Date' column.  That way the column will always be sorting using the same date field (Date Modified) and your most recently modified files will always appear at the top.

Different File Formats:

The reason for the difference between when the image is exported as a JPEG compared to being exported as a PNG or GIF, is because not all image file formats support EXIF metadata.  The JPEG and TIFF specifications include a standard for embedding EXIF metadata, however PNG and GIF historically don't.  Although PNG had some work-a-rounds, EXIF metadata support was only added as an official extension to the PNG specification in July 2017 and so I don't think it's widely adopted yet.  This means that although the .afphoto working file has a 'Date Taken' field in the EXIF metadata, when it's exported to PNG or GIF, the EXIF metadata isn't exported and therefore the Windows File Explorer 'Date' column will use the 'Date Modified' timestamp instead.

Something to pass through to the developers to consider? It would have saved me some time in previous searches.

Although the dates may seem odd in Windows File Explorer, Affinity Photo is working correctly.  The only part I can see that needs changing is when you have a working file with no EXIF metadata, Affinity Photo should populate a 'Data Taken' field in the exported image when you export it (if it's supported by the export file format).  The problem with just using the basic Date Created/Date Modified/Date Accessed file timestamps is they're too vulnerable; just rotating an image in certain image viewers for example can be enough to reset the dates.  Adding 'Date Taken' to the EXIF metadata adds a reliable date to the file—one that stays constant and is unlikely to be changed accidentally.  Someone would have to deliberately change it, as opposed to accidentally overwriting all the dates.

Perhaps also being able to manually add or modify the 'Date Taken' field directly in the EXIF panel inside Affinity Photo would be useful too.

Thank you for all of the information. It is much appreciated. As a techie myself, I should know these things already. I agree that the best way for me in future would be to create a new Affinity file from the start, and then build up the montage on top of that. It wasn't a big problem, just one of those sneaky gotchas.

I've had Affinity since it came out, and only just noticed the date thing. Thought it was something to do with the new year - duh.

A great forum for help!