You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Release date estimation

On 2/1/2019 at 2:38 AM, nezumi said:

some ZB to Affinity plugin that would absolutely kick ass... I guess thats on Pixologic though...)

It would indeed be kick ass,. This is more up to Serif since the Macro system is too limited.
Affinity Photo/Designer as of now though can be bridged with Zapplink which is a nice thing.

After looking, the ZBtoPhotoshop CC Addon is creating everything as separate psds alongside a script which then merges those files inside Photoshop.
I guess creating a solution would be easy for the talented serif developers.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

10 hours ago, chakko007 said:

Sure, Photoshop sucks so hard that everyone in the business is using it. ;) 

This is your argument?.. :D Maybe try to point out what of what I say is not true..?
I don't know if you noticed but I don't say "Photoshop sucks". I say "ADOBE SUCKS". Big time. "Many people are using it" is not an argument. Many people are dining in McDonald - that doesn't make it good restaurant.

@myclay Yeah, this is the plugin I thought about - so helpful... I think it was developed by Joseph Drust on Pixologic side. Knowing how bloody lazy Adobe became... They didnt do it :D
It would certainly require knowledge of ZBrush too. In description of the plugin it says "Plugin uses ExtendScript *.JSX files to transfer data to Photoshop. *.JSX files must be set to open with Photoshop for the process to work correctly.". I have no idea if Affinity has a way of dealing with *.JSX files or has anything similar to offer.

But if some developer is reading it - just an idea. I know you guys have lot on your plates as it is. But this sort of plugin for Affinity Photo could help a LOT. Personally I would promote the heck out of it in 3D crowd.

59 minutes ago, nezumi said:

@myclay Yeah, this is the plugin I thought about - so helpful... I think it was developed by Joseph Drust on Pixologic side.

I like Zbrush too - but for this particular task you might really check out 3DCoat. Not only do they have powerful native 3D painting tools, you can also assign any image editor that reads and writes layered psd's as an external editor for either unwrapped UVs or projection painting, as available in the Zbrush plugin. I have not yet tested Affinity Photo as the external editor, but I think it should work.

2 hours ago, hifred said:

I like Zbrush too - but for this particular task you might really check out 3DCoat. Not only do they have powerful native 3D painting tools, you can also assign any image editor that reads and writes layered psd's as an external editor for either unwrapped UVs or projection painting, as available in the Zbrush plugin. I have not yet tested Affinity Photo as the external editor, but I think it should work.

Ow no, this is not for painting in Affinity. This is to get different passes rendered in ZB to further compose in Affinity.

The serif team would have to ask for access for the free GoZ™ SDK. MEB , Ben maybe you could give this a try? :)
https://support.pixologic.com/

If you work with an application not listed above and want to add GoZ™ to it, please contact via submitting a support ticket for information on how to access our free GoZ™ SDK.

The *.JSX files which where specifically added for the Photoshop addon by Adobe are to my sparse knowledge not compatible, otherwise we as customers could use all kinds of advanced plugins from Photoshop in Affinity Photo.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

6 hours ago, nezumi said:

Ow no, this is not for painting in Affinity. This is to get different passes rendered in ZB to further compose in Affinity.

Right, I had not watched the clip and mixed this one up with the official Pixologic Photoshop plugin which has the purpose I described.

To me it looks as if you had to ask Joseph Drust for support rather - since he had tailored this Plugin towards a Photoshop CC pipeline:  Although nothing in this script technically would require CC (Zbrush does all the work anyway) I  can't even use it in PS CS6. This very likely only has to do with some hard coded file paths inside his plug-in.

All what's required is pushing a supported third party file to Affinity Photo, to trigger a file open,  possibly to display some dialogs and to have it listen to updates in this external file. Is that really not possible yet, with Affinity Photo?

At any rate your assumption that Adobe is silly and sleeping seems quite odd in this context: It was actually Adobe who, many years ago made their app open enough for external scripters to support a tiny fraction of Photoshops userbase by making the import of layered files from Zbrush more convenient.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, Mystical said:

I did not realize the windows version did not have GPU acceleration yet. I've only had Affinity Photo for a few days but it is so smooth and runs very well I assumed it did already. 1.7 sounds to be really awesome. I too heard about Adobe buying Allegorithmic, I mostly use 3D Coat over substance but like their texture creation tools. Been trying to distance myself from Adobe products lately and when I heard the news it made me decide to get Affinity finally after thinking about it for a while.

Well it realy depends to the Task that you have to do... 

i had to deal with some 2GB Images, created out of an Architectural Visualisation Process..    Splatterd with dotzens and dozens of Masks, effects, Layer..  (about 100 and more)  and you Need them for Architectural Big Scenes.. 

Here i realy have to say,   Affinity Photo is very slow..  compared to Adobe Photoshop, which pans  Images like nothing,   new Areas of an Image that come to your Screen by paning, in Affinity have to be rebuild..   it sometimes kills a smooth workflow..   also using Brushes  has some time lagging.. 

I hope this is the result of missing gpu boost ?  

If so,  one of the Big hadaches befor bringing Affinity to our Company will be gone.. 

4 hours ago, chakko007 said:

I wouldn't know where to start. ;)

Ah, good old "starts discussion - doesn't have an counter-argument - claims doesn't have time to "explain" and has better things to do anyways" case.

@hifred I am not talking about Adobe from "many years ago". I am talking about Adobe today. I loved Photoshop for years. And there's really nothing except Affinity that can replace it. In some cases (like using z-depth pass to drive DOF) there is no real alternative at all. And if Affinity disappeared I would be back to Photoshop. Hating on Adobe :D Hopefully there will be no need for that.

@Tom Schülke Surely it depends on what you do. And I would suspect that lack of GPU support under windows can be an issue. Photoshop has it and I remember HUGE difference it made when it was implemented in Photoshop for the first time. I was working on big format printing at the time - 8-10 meters wide and good 4 meters high. It was amazing change - basically making possible work on something that before was too laggy... I would imagine GPU usage in Affinity will do something similar.

11 hours ago, nezumi said:

@hifred I am not talking about Adobe from "many years ago". I am talking about Adobe today. I loved Photoshop for years. And there's really nothing except Affinity that can replace it. In some cases (like using z-depth pass to drive DOF) there is no real alternative at all. And if Affinity disappeared I would be back to Photoshop. Hating on Adobe :D Hopefully there will be no need for that.

I just wanted to make you aware that you were likely barking up the wrong tree with your desire for this Zbrush Importer.  

Apart from that I can not resonate with your words – neither with your booming dislike for Adobe applications, nor with you rousing new love for Affinity products. I do differenciate between admirable achievements by Adobe programmers and UX designers and very very unfortunate licensing decisions taken by the management. Affinity is young and promising, but for now and for my usage profile I'm still far better off with Photoshop CS6.

What I found interesting is, that you find Photoshop terribly bloated but have no issue with Zbrush. The latter – no doubt – is a highly interesting application,  but it is just insanely feature crowded. Even regular users do need Youtube at times, as one simply can not keep in mind all the details of the myriads of different geometry creating principles Pixologic offers.

1 hour ago, hifred said:

barking on the wrong tree

The usual English expression is ‘barking up the wrong tree’. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

21 hours ago, nezumi said:

Ah, good old "starts discussion - doesn't have an counter-argument - claims doesn't have time to "explain" and has better things to do anyways" case.

Rather the good old "Can't be arsed to spend time on discussing with a religiously indoctrinated person who won't listen to rational arguments anyway". ;)

Feel free to go on anyway. I have a feeling no matter what i say, you won't stop anyway.