You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Release date estimation

• Staff

Hi PilleniusMC,

We don't really give timescales for releases as to not disappoint. It has been about 6 weeks since an update but Photo on the Mac is getting regular updates. Windows will need to adopt these fixes/changes and they will need testing.

• Staff

Hi PilleniusMC,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Version 1.7 of Affinity Photo for Mac added support for Metal compute (GPU) acceleration for several tasks (besides displaying/rendering the image on screen) thus the frequent fixes for this platform (for issues that have been reported related with its implementation). Affinity Photo for Windows doesn't benefit from any GPU acceleration yet - this is still being worked on. All the other fixes/improvements unrelated with GPU acceleration should come in an upcoming Beta for Windows.

23 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi PilleniusMC,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Version 1.7 of Affinity Photo for Mac added support for Metal compute (GPU) acceleration for several tasks (besides displaying/rendering the image on screen) thus the frequent fixes for this platform (for issues that have been reported related with its implementation). Affinity Photo for Windows doesn't benefit from any GPU acceleration yet - this is still being worked on. All the other fixes/improvements unrelated with GPU acceleration should come in an upcoming Beta for Windows.

Are the GPU accelerated functions coming in the 1.7 update for windows eventually  or are we going to have to wait for a later version?

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

no GPU acceleration, now I know why its so slow on my desktop.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

It was quite funny when some time ago, before this thread I heard that Windows version has no GPU acceleration yet. I have quite old CPU and everything works smooth as butter. Sure, I can hear fans on CPU going busy when working :) It will be so cool to get GPU acceleration on Windows too!

Now, when Adobe bought Allegorithmic I am kind of sure that they will screw it up and bloat Photoshop further instead of making the best from absolutely fantastic, Substance software they bought. Surely Adobe has some great devs working there, but people who make decisions seems to be absolute idiots (who think 3D printing integration is what Photoshop needed and trying to make everything overly easy, simple, drag and drop, voice command etc). So meanwhile, when Adobe decision taking people will be hard at work, figuring out how to bloat Photoshop up and slow down development of Substance - I hope Affinity team will bring us GPU usage on their lean-mean software package for windows. Good luck :)

PS
REALLY cant wait for 1.7. I mean... I can and will but damn it will be nice to get update for Affinity little package :). Well, back to Photo..

19 hours ago, nezumi said:

It was quite funny when some time ago, before this thread I heard that Windows version has no GPU acceleration yet. I have quite old CPU and everything works smooth as butter. Sure, I can hear fans on CPU going busy when working :) It will be so cool to get GPU acceleration on Windows too!

I did not realize the windows version did not have GPU acceleration yet. I've only had Affinity Photo for a few days but it is so smooth and runs very well I assumed it did already. 1.7 sounds to be really awesome. I too heard about Adobe buying Allegorithmic, I mostly use 3D Coat over substance but like their texture creation tools. Been trying to distance myself from Adobe products lately and when I heard the news it made me decide to get Affinity finally after thinking about it for a while.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:04 PM, Mark Ingram said:

No, OpenCL is deprecated on macOS (in favour of Metal).

You could consider using Vulkan via MoltenVK if its license turns out to be something you can make work for you...  just a thought.

4 hours ago, Mystical said:

I did not realize the windows version did not have GPU acceleration yet. I've only had Affinity Photo for a few days but it is so smooth and runs very well I assumed it did already. 1.7 sounds to be really awesome. I too heard about Adobe buying Allegorithmic, I mostly use 3D Coat over substance but like their texture creation tools. Been trying to distance myself from Adobe products lately and when I heard the news it made me decide to get Affinity finally after thinking about it for a while.

You won't be sorry, I myself dumped Adobe I can't stand the idea of renting my software. Affinity Photo is an excellent product and is constantly getting better.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

1 minute ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

You won't be sorry, I myself dumped Adobe I can't stand the idea of renting my software. Affinity Photo is an excellent product and is constantly getting better.

I'm not a fan of subscription based programs either. I found adobe replacements for almost all the programs I did use in their suite except for After Effects. I'm still searching for an alternative since that program is so unique there are no real competitors for exactly what it does sadly. Affinity Photo is pretty close with its cool non-destructive layers though, not having to setup smart objects first like in photoshop is very nice. If Affinity made an after effects 2D/3D compositing motion graphics program I'm sure they'd knock it out of the park. 'Affinity Effects' actually would sound like a cool program name.

7 hours ago, Mystical said:

I am ZBrush guy (man, if I could only see some ZB to Affinity plugin that would absolutely kick ass... I guess thats on Pixologic though...) but 3DCoat always looked very interesting. I wonder what they will show in 5.0...

I bought both Photo and Designer little over 2 years ago. Never missed Photoshop or Illustrator. Sure, some little things that Adobe has are very useful but overall experience is much better with Affinity for me. Affinity knows what software they are making - are focused. Adobe lost the way, they want bit of everything. Photoshop has already useless 3D, movie editing 3D printing.. They were talking about voice commands too. At this point I would not be surprised if they add some music maker to Photoshop too :D Its so bloated that just Photoshop installer takes more space then both Photo and Designer. And I loved that software... I was so excited when new Photoshop was coming, back at version 4, 5... Adobe just killed that excitement and luckily Affinity decided to come to Windows. And for what I see Affinity is growing nicely. Last two years with them was a pleasure! Get your copy and lets celebrate that 1.7 soon together :)

12 hours ago, Mystical said:

I'm not a fan of subscription based programs either. I found adobe replacements for almost all the programs I did use in their suite except for After Effects. I'm still searching for an alternative since that program is so unique there are no real competitors for exactly what it does sadly. Affinity Photo is pretty close with its cool non-destructive layers though, not having to setup smart objects first like in photoshop is very nice. If Affinity made an after effects 2D/3D compositing motion graphics program I'm sure they'd knock it out of the park. 'Affinity Effects' actually would sound like a cool program name.

Have you tried out Blackmagicdesigns DaVinci Resolve, which is a Video-Editing-Compositing-Grading-Audio-Suite for free. It can easily replace After Effects+Premiere+Audition. 

7 hours ago, Ray S. said:

Have you tried out Blackmagicdesigns DaVinci Resolve, which is a Video-Editing-Compositing-Grading-Audio-Suite for free. It can easily replace After Effects+Premiere+Audition. 

Yeah I have Davinci Resolve and use it for video editing. Was not sure if it can do the same type of motion graphics effects that AE can do though. I know it has Fusion built in for compositing but didn't look at the full extent of effects it could do yet. If Affinity Photo had keyframes for all its filters/masking/effects and a way to output the workspace in motion graphics it would be a dream come true lol

Its a photo edit package, so movie elements have nothing to do with it. Then go use photoshop :D

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

14 hours ago, Mystical said:

Yeah I have Davinci Resolve and use it for video editing. Was not sure if it can do the same type of motion graphics effects that AE can do though. I know it has Fusion built in for compositing but didn't look at the full extent of effects it could do yet. If Affinity Photo had keyframes for all its filters/masking/effects and a way to output the workspace in motion graphics it would be a dream come true lol

If you're interested in doing motion graphics, Fusion can be a better solution than DaVinci. Even though Resolve now comes with Fusion, I think it's a limited version (not sure how limited). I tried Fusion a couple of times and it looks really capable, easier than Nuke (which is similar to) and more motion graphics oriented. This forum is full of resources. If you're not focused about working for motion graphics companies than give it a try. Another option could be Hitfilm, but I personally never seriously tried it.

Apparently, Cavalry wants to be a real competitor, at least Mainframe is behind it so the premise is solid. Looking at the examples, it does resemble AE quite a lot.

That said if your main goal is working doing motion graphics, then there isn't a way around AE. You can even work from home using any other software you feel comfortable with, but the moment you need to share a project you're out of luck.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

@nezumi: It's not easy for comapnies like Adobe to keep the ball running, so to say. Customers expect new stuff, and innovations for their money. No wonder that the software gets cramped and bloated with features then. Affinity products already won't be bloated due to the relatively slow development (no offense meant, normal with a team which is way smaller than Adobe).

12 hours ago, chakko007 said:

@nezumi: It's not easy for comapnies like Adobe to keep the ball running, so to say. Customers expect new stuff, and innovations for their money. No wonder that the software gets cramped and bloated with features then. Affinity products already won't be bloated due to the relatively slow development (no offense meant, normal with a team which is way smaller than Adobe).

Yeah Affinity team is way smaller. But way smarter it seems. The level of integration between Designer and Photo is unseen in Adobe environment. Open AI file in Photoshop and see how much of your hard work will be rasterized and rendered useless. Now open Designer file in Photo. I can hardly see any difference.

Lets see, if I understood you are claiming that Adobe software is so complete that it is hard to add anything new without bloating it with nonsense, right?

It took Adobe 20+ years to add symmetry recently. I had symmetry in 1995 Deluxe Paint for Amiga computer (with multiple angles). At the end of 2018 Adobe finally got it in Photoshop. They had completely useless 3D printing option in photo manipulation software years before interactive symmetry (that was present in graphic software in 90's). I think this shows great what is wrong with Adobe.
Brushes in Photoshop are untouched for who knows how many years. Free Krita has more robust brushes system then Photoshop.
For ages people were asking for simple color wheel - you needed addon to have it in Photoshop (not sure if it changed, I switched to Affinity 2 years ago). Yet they added movie editing... Because of course people want to edit movies in photo manipulation software.

Illustrator was for years practically abandoned. Updates were so poor that it was laughable. Is there nothing to be added to illustrator? Again, basic stuff - try to make inner shadow in Illustrator. Theres no such option (it wasn't two years ago before I switched. Knowing Adobe they still didn't added it :P)- you need to go with black inner glow which is not the same or go through multi-stage process to fake it. Adobe added making seamless textures in illustrator but you cant make inner shadow effect easily. Who in the right mind is painting textures in vector software!? Same guy who wants to 3D print from Photoshop I suppose...

These are BASICS. Basics that are not covered by Adobe for many, many years. I can go on and on - Adobe decisions are just ridiculous. You need one more proof of Adobe incompetence? Industry leading software, massive corporation with mountains of money but its Affinity that made Photo and Designer for i-pad. Not Adobe - they have nothing in that piece of market. When Adobe  saw success of Affinity they quickly announced Photoshop for i-pad that suppose to show up this year. And I can already see how they will screw it up. They want everything hooked to the cloud. So instead of making light, cool app they are thinking about... "Cloud PSD". They said: "Cloud PSDs, when we ship Photoshop on the iPad, will also run and automatically show up on your desktop". Who the hell wants something like that? Ow I know - the guy who is painting textures in Illustrator and 3D printing from Photoshop.

Affinity is there for what..? 4 years? On PC half of that time? And they managed to provide something that can in many cases replace Photoshop and Illustrator - industry standards. If that is not impressive then I don't know what is. And I can see that they have some cool plan, they are focused. Not trying to make software that will do everything. Specialized, much lighter, artist oriented, nicely integrated software. Adobe clearly lost its focus. Or is focused solely on CLOUD. Even if more and more people is disliking the idea. I certainly dont need that in my live.