mwreed

SVG export size problems in Designer

Hi,

I've googled this a quite a bit and seen a bunch of suggested tweaks that satisfied people, but I can't get anything to work, so sorry if this looks like a dupe. I'm trying to export vectors from Affinity Designer to SVG to use for a laser cutter. Every time I do, the SVG is resized. It doesn't matter what resolution or size document I use, or whether I specify an export resolution, or uncheck the "set viewBox" setting, or only export the objects and not the canvas, literally nothing produces an SVG file that preserves the actual size of what I've drawn. I've opened the SVGs in Inkscape, Lightburn, and AD itself, and they're always bigger. The first time I caught it, it had upscaled a 4" coaster to over a foot diameter.

Resizing the image in another program isn't the biggest deal if all I'm doing is a 2-D design, but if I'm cutting pieces for a box with finger joints, resizing can throw things off big time. And going from AD to Inkscape to Lightburn just to get the SVG imported for the laser cutter is a bit of a pain, so I'm really hopeful there's a fix here.

I've attached AD and SVG files of a simple square to demonstrate what I'm talking about. 

Specs: Affinity Designer 1.6.5, MacOS Mojave, recent MacBook Pro. 

Thanks!

squaretest.afdesign

squaretest.svg

Hi @mwreed,

Welcome to the forums. 

When working with vectors, you should bear in mind this:

The slice export size ( 1x, 2x, 3x, etc) is linked with your document DPI. 1x is considered 72, and so on. ( Your document is set to 96, so you will get 1.33 times later exports)

If your document DPI is set to 72, you will have the following for a 100px square

• .5x - 50 x 50
  • 1x - 100 x 100
  • 2x - 200 x 200
  • 3x - 300 x 300

@144 dpi, you're basically working on 2x. So you will have:

• .5x - 25 x 25
  • 1x - 50 x 50
  • 2x - 100 x 100
  • 3x - 150 x 150

@216 dpi, you're working on 3x

• .5x - 16 x 16
  • 1x - 33 x 33
  • 2x - 66 x 66
  • 3x - 100 x 100

As for the rasterisation, nothing in your SVG is rasterised. You've only got one rectangle. 

image.png

Thanks,

Gabe.

Okay, I think my problem was not using the persona for it. Using the persona, I was able to open the SVG back up and verify that it was the same size rectangle.

Previously I was just going to the export menu option, and that was creating a different result.  I'm not sure what the difference is there, but I'm happy that there's a way to make it work using the persona.

The rectangle was just a sample to demo the problem, so yeah, the raster isn't an issue here. 

It changes the document units to pixels, but that's an easy tweak. Thanks so much for the prompt response on this. Huge help.

Edit to say: I forgot to mention that I changed the resolution down too. In retrospect, that was probably the main thing.