2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

That is mostly all a bunch of partisan hooey. The part I highlighted is especially funny.

I am speaking relatively.

Consider:

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

I would say that our income from Mac and Windows is basically evenly split and that both markets are important to us.

If that is the case, this strongly implies that the percentage of total Windows users buying Serif products is smaller than the percentage of total Mac users buying Serif products.  That is what I was trying to get at in terms of the general market.

And the other thread, as mentioned, already speaks to the original thread topic, to which this was kind of on the side anyway.  I am now dropping out of the thread at least as far as this side topic goes.

3 hours ago, Mist001 said:

Well your suggestion to 'Just use Page Plus when you want to work with PagePlus files' is nonsense and bad advice for two reasons;

Absolutely agree … I'll take that under advise and when the next person asks me, I'll tell them to use MS Paint to work with their PagePlus files. ;o)

Just to clarify: This is humorous, don't take my post serious.

A long-time user of Serif products here. I'm a bit biased as I've always loved their software. I've had Web/Page/Photo/Movie/Draw Plus. I still have them, apart from WebPlus (now Wordpress), on my Windows desktop despite buying Affinity Photo.

I use the excellent PhotoPlus for quick fiddles with images and it is my default programme, but use Affinity Photo a great deal. 

I've got Publisher and have played with it a great deal. I'm sorry that PP files are not compatible, but then I do not often have to return to old jobs. If I were to ignore Publisher and move to another DTP programme, I first of all expect to get less for my money and, secondly, I expect to have exactly the same problems with the lack of compatibility.

MoviePlus is rather old now. I've moved on to Power Director, but still use MP for a quickie.

In other words, I don't see there's much of a problem. One irritation is that I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to afford Publisher so I'm reluctant to commit to it at this time, but given Serif's historic pricing I probably will buy it. (I'll expect my loyalty to be taken into account when it goes live, maybe Serif?) If/when I do, I'll still keep PagePlus.

I've used other products, even the pricey ones. I still prefer Serif.

The market's changing all the time and Serif must go with it or else all their products will be legacy.

I'm not a frequent poster on here, although an habitual user of Serif software. I think it is great that they are moving forward.

Derek

19 minutes ago, Writewheel said:

One irritation is that I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to afford Publisher so I'm reluctant to commit to it at this time, but given Serif's historic pricing I probably will buy it. (I'll expect my loyalty to be taken into account when it goes live, maybe Serif?)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Derek. :)

All the indications are that Publisher will be the same price as Designer and Photo (i.e. US$50 or equivalent). There's also a high probability of a generous launch offer, reducing the price significantly for a week or two after the retail release.

Judging by the loyalty offer which was promised to users switching from DP to Designer or from PhP to Photo but didn’t actually happen, I don’t expect Serif to make a similar mistake in relation to PP users.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks for the welcome, Alfred. I've been lurking for 6 months or so, seeing what people say about Publisher, and used to go on the previous forums.

There's no doubt I'll buy it. As I say, I'm a long-term customer of Serif, scarily long actually, and I like the business model. 

I'm still learning Photo, there's so much too it. I've got little use for Designer, but I'm tempted. 

Derek