You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have recently started using Affinty Designer and found that few basic features were missing which all the other professional Vector Editing Software have.:1_grinning:

• Split Point ( This feature allows to break the point into Two separate points )
  • Minus/Plus or remove/add node ( Feature in Pen Tool to add or remove a node without limiting to shift to different tools )
  • Break Apart or Release Compound Path ( After Separating a shape with subtract front from back I need to be able to use both separations as different object rather than one single unit )
  • Create Clipping Mask or Power Clip option in Context Menu and Also Ctrl/Command + Drag object over other object for Quick Power Clipping(This feature is required for the reason of better efficiency )
  • Actions or Automation ( This Feature is in Illustrator which allows pre-recorded actions to take complex or rather bulk part of the work be smoother and FASTER )
  • Shape Builder Tool ( This Tool makes it easier for ratio base designing ) ( This is specifically required for professional designers )
  • Hovering Thumbnail along side the eyedropper tool with Color information (Eg 1585683473_eyedropperHoveringThumbnail.PNG.b4682a0aa649ad1cdf2fba7fb496bd7d.PNG ) ( It is much need feature if you use it )
  • Convert to Curves should be included in Text Drop Down Menu.
  • Change of units from right click on ruler ( This feature allows change of measuring unit from just by right clicking on the ruler )
  • Convert Object to Guidelines ( This Feature allows to Convert Object into Guide Shapes )
  • Object Locking option in Context Menu (much needed feature for Desktop and Mac user )
  • Color Numeric Value in swatches with the current color mode ( This feature is highly required one suggested by dadesign I.e.: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/77313-color-numeric-value-in-swatches/ don't know the person but really useful feature )

Thank You for Hearing,:D

• Staff

@Hardik Galaiya

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)  Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Hardik Galaiya said:

Change of units from right click on ruler ( This feature allows change of measuring unit from just by right clicking on the ruler )

That exists in 1.7 (currently in customer beta). You can right-click on the unit label at the ruler intersection, and choose a different measurement unit. (Note: this affects the document generally, not just the ruler.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Hardik Galaiya said:

Split Point ( This feature allows to break the point into Two separate points )

Node Tool, Break Curve on the context toolbar? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That exists in 1.7 (currently in customer beta). You can right-click on the unit label at the ruler intersection, and choose a different measurement unit. (Note: this affects the document generally, not just the ruler.) 

Thank You for the Update happy to know that the feature is on the way. As I am not a beta user so was not aware:1_grinning:

16 hours ago, Hardik Galaiya said:

Split Point ( This feature allows to break the point into Two separate points )

Also, you can add a shortcut if you don't want to use the Context Toolbar, for the Node Tool and the Pen Tool (in Node Tool mode, when you press Ctrol/Cmd):

image.png.cdebeb611e66a7d2f2fa96f245c73938.png

image.png.7b996abde9c3b162801a6700b615a915.png

Minus/Plus or remove/add node ( Feature in Pen Tool to add or remove a node without limiting to shift to different tools )

When using the Pen Tool, keep presses Ctrl/Cmd to acces to the Node Tool functionality. Check the video and answer I gave in this thread.

Break Apart or Release Compound Path ( After Separating a shape with subtract front from back I need to be able to use both separations as different object rather than one single unit )

Is that the same as the Divide Operation?

image.thumb.png.03707e1b56df54dfea6c37ff37d92326.png

Create Clipping Mask or Power Clip option in Context Menu and Also Ctrl/Command + Drag object over other object for Quick Power Clipping(This feature is required for the reason of better efficiency )

What about copying and then use Paste Inside (Ctrl + Alt + V on Windows)?

Actions or Automation ( This Feature is in Illustrator which allows pre-recorded actions to take complex or rather bulk part of the work be smoother and FASTER )

Maybe when the Plugins capabilities are finally available, we'll be able to write Scripts, since I don't know if Serif is planning to add the Macro capabilities available in Photo.

Shape Builder Tool ( This Tool makes it easier for ratio base designing ) ( This is specifically required for professional designers )

Agreed. This is available in DrawPlus, so I have high hopes that we'll have it on Designer.

Hovering Thumbnail along side the eyedropper tool with Color information

That's available when you use the Eyedropper from the Color Panel (also available in a lof of places inside the program):

image.thumb.png.f87296fe3a7f7454353bc8dcbb003353.png

Convert to Curves should be included in Text Drop Down Menu.

I got myself used to the Ctrl + Enter shortcut. Maybe you could give it a try.

Object Locking option in Context Menu (much needed feature for Desktop and Mac user )

What about Ctrl + L when selecting the Object?

Hope some of this is of use.

Best regards!

On 1/28/2019 at 6:17 PM, Mithferion said:

Also, you can add a shortcut if you don't want to use the Context Toolbar, for the Node Tool and the Pen Tool (in Node Tool mode, when you press Ctrol/Cmd):

Thanks for the suggestion. Worked out perfectly.

When using the Pen Tool, keep presses Ctrl/Cmd to acces to the Node Tool functionality. Check the video and answer I gave in this thread.

I saw the video but it Doen't Cover the part where I can Remove a Node or Minus Pen during the process of making a curve. The minus pen would also make it possible to contentiously remove point just in single click rather than select a point then press delete button.

Is that the same as the Divide Operation?

No but didn't check this function properly before and yeah it is a work around.:2_grimacing:

What about copying and then use Paste Inside (Ctrl + Alt + V on Windows)?

Yeah that also works :7_sweat_smile:

That's available when you use the Eyedropper from the Color Panel (also available in a lof of places inside the program):

Oh Yeah Have a lot of Brushing in understanding the tools yet.:7_sweat_smile:

I got myself used to the Ctrl + Enter shortcut. Maybe you could give it a try.

Yes I use the same but had a hassle finding it as new to software so wanted it would help new users to find the function faster.

What about Ctrl + L when selecting the Object?

No that was not the reason. The reason was to Quickly unlock specific object rather than going all the way to layer panel to unlock it or unlocking all the object with the shortcut.

Thank You Very Much for such a detailed reply helped get along with Affinity designer lot smoothly than I expected. And Now i guess Affnity Designer itself is a different software like other software and it has its own separate functions to workaround and expecting to add few features would be rude of me hoping to make the software to adapt itself and me not taking the effort to explore it around.

@Mithferion in your language.

Muchas Gracias for addressing most of my issues.:9_innocent:

14 hours ago, Hardik Galaiya said:

I saw the video but it Doen't Cover the part where I can Remove a Node or Minus Pen during the process of making a curve. The minus pen would also make it possible to contentiously remove point just in single click rather than select a point then press delete button.

The video covers the basic actions. To delete a Node, you'd go the same way as with the Node Tool: selecting using the Node Mode (Ctrl/Cmd), release the Node Mode and delete the Node pressing Del. As far as I know, there is no "Single click deletion for Nodes" option for the Node Tool, like the Tool in Ai, for example. Maybe there is, but if it isn't, then is a good suggestion.

Yes I use the same but had a hassle finding it as new to software so wanted it would help new users to find the function faster.

With so many options, you can have just so much in the UI before making it an overwhelming experience.

No that was not the reason. The reason was to Quickly unlock specific object rather than going all the way to layer panel to unlock it or unlocking all the object with the shortcut

I see. Yes, indeed: since there is no way to select on canvas a locked object, that'd make sense.

And Now i guess Affnity Designer itself is a different software like other software and it has its own separate functions to workaround and expecting to add few features would be rude of me hoping to make the software to adapt itself and me not taking the effort to explore it around.

Yes, it has its own way to work. In my case, I got used to it rather quickly (and giving myself time to explore and learning from Serif's tutorials) coming from the good old Inkscape, and besides some tools that I want (like the Shape Builder Tool), I am quite comfortable with the program.

Muchas Gracias for addressing most of my issues

¡De nada!

Best regards.

• 3 years later...

Hi Have been facing issue with text pasting. 
Whenever i copy a text from word or any other external source and paste it in existing text region the formatting changes to Arial 10points no matter what I try I have to manually type it to retain the style. Please help me in how to retain the destination formatting.

Paste Without Format?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.