You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A very newbie AP question.... I open an image and lock the layer; make a duplicate layer, then crop the duplicate layer. If I delete the duplicate layer, the original locked layer is cropped also and no way to undo the crop. I thought the purpose of duplicating the base layer was to make all changes above the base layer non-destructive? Am I missing something basic? Windows 10, i7 processor.

Cropping in AP is applied to the document, not to a specific layer. Once you crop, the entire canvas is cropped. The cropping applies to all layers. However, all is not lost. Cropping in AP is non-destructive; the image is still there but is “clipped” by the crop.

Assuming you duplicate, crop, then delete the duplicated layer, the crop will still be evident. It CAN be modified. You can use the Crop tool and simply “crop” to an area that is larger than the visible borders. Or, you can choose Unclip Canvas from the Document menu, which should reveal your original image.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

One more thing... Duplicating the Background layer is a very Photoshop-ish way of doing things. Most (but not all) things you do in AP will be non-destructive. That includes Adjustment layers, Live Filter layers, cloning and inpainting (as long as they are done on separate Pixel layers), and many other operations. I find that I only “duplicate” to a new layer when I’m doing something that has to be destructive, and then I will use Merge Visible from the Layer menu. Destructive things include non-Live filters, Frequency Separation, and a few other operations. For the most part, the Photoshop behavior of immediately duplicating the Background layer is (in my view) unnecessary.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I would always recommend duplicating the background layer (especially for newbies) as it has some additional benefits such as...

If you lose access to the original image, your document will always contain a backup copy you can recover, years later

Comparing/Creating a before and after view of the image is a lot easier if you duplicate the image before working on it.

If working away from the "office" you only need to remember to take the APhoto document(s) you are working on rather than the document(s) plus the original image(s)

The overheads associated with duplicating the background layer (e.g. system speed, disk space used) appears minimal when compared to some of the other functions within APhoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

cid69...  Peace of mind is everything, and for that reason alone duplicating the Background is a good move (irrespective of its necessity).

carl123...  Your points are well taken, but since most of AP’s operations are non-destructive, the original image IS always there. As I said to cid69, it is only a destructive operation that should require a Merge Visible (which I prefer, since it incorporates any non-destructive changes already made). On the other hand, as above, if duplicating the Background works in a workflow, or provides a measure of comfort, then that alone is a good enough reason to do it.

11 hours ago, carl123 said:

Comparing/Creating a before and after view of the image is a lot easier if you duplicate the image before working on it.

I make duplicates for this reason frequently, & it is also something often done (& recommended) in many of the video tutorials. For this use, I typically duplicate the original image, give it a distinctive name, place it at the top of the layer stack, & lock & hide it.

I also make duplicates for those 'oops' moments when I realize that at some earlier time I painted on the original image layer instead of a new layer & I need to restore a part of it to the original look & try again.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7