You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

If you're getting a 404 it sounds like you might not be entering the URL exactly as shown in the book. As the URLs should not be provided in the forums, feel free to send me a private message with a screenshot of the browser with the URL filled in before you press Enter, and one showing the 404 Page you got, and I'll see if I can see what's wrong.

(To send a message you can click on my name or picture, and you'll see an option to send a message.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

If you're getting a 404 it sounds like you might not be entering the URL exactly as shown in the book. As the URLs should not be provided in the forums, feel free to send me a private message with a screenshot of the browser with the URL filled in before you press Enter, and one showing the 404 Page you got, and I'll see if I can see what's wrong.

(To send a message you can click on my name or picture, and you'll see an option to send a message.)

Thanks Walt

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 14.44.27.png

Ah. Thanks. The message isn't really necessary in that case, but thanks for sending it.

You don't download individual images. Rather, for each chapter or project, you download the resource file indicated at the start of the chapter. That will get you a .zip file that contains everything needed for that chapter or project.

So, for project 1 in the Photo Workbook, you download the URL shown under Resources on page 140 of the book, as you did. For project 2, the download info is in the Resources section on page 156. Etc.

Does that help? If not, please let me know which project you're trying to work on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, DWright said:

The adjustment_hsl.jpg file does not have its own download but is in the photocoreskills zip file 

Thanks It did help me lots. 

It just goes to show i skipped the most important page. Thanks for putting me right.

Have a good day

Simon

• 1 year later...

Hello 

I'm having considerable problems with the resource files for the book; they are downloaded and on my desktop, sure enough. But I cannot get any of them through the file-open function of Affinity, the message being that it does not support this file format. (of course I have not messed with the format). I can get some of the files into Affinity just by opening from the desktop and they pop themselves right into Affinity; I believe these are the ones that are RAW files. 

The others which are JPEG will only open into Windows Pictures; I do not know any way to move them into Affinity, and these are the results after three or more attempts to download and use. I have actually been reduced to looking through my own images to find ones suitable for the exercises, and that is a time-suck and less than optimum.

I would appreciate any advice which might direct me to getting this to work correctly!

Thank You and Regards -- -- Tom Hagood 

On 5/10/2020 at 2:58 AM, tombo said:

'm having considerable problems with the resource files for the book; they are downloaded and on my desktop ...

Aren't those resource files zipped (compressed archive files, aka: somefilename.zip)? - If they are ZIP compressed archives you would first have to unzip those achives first in order to make any use out of their contents. Afterwards after unzipping you can open/load individual of those into the corresponding Affinity app.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 5/10/2020 at 2:58 AM, tombo said:

The others which are JPEG will only open into Windows Pictures; I do not know any way to move them into Affinity

How are you attempting to open them? By double clicking on their icon? Have you tried going to the File > Open... menu in Affinity Photo, and looking for the JPEGs there? You can also right-click on a JPEG and select Affinity Photo from the Open with menu.

Hello, 
I am pretty sure that I know what the problem is; that being that there is no clear path to the intended page or URL. When I Google https:/affin.co/photocore skills, I get 24,000 results; I open the first one at the top of the results which appears to be a user interface forum. I scroll around for the download link, not sure which or what, click on one and get the partial results that I have previously described. 

Please, I need a clear, definite and original link (links) to Chapter 2 and all of the following chapters; otherwise it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (in summary, too many results and I do not know where to look for the correct results). I think this is a plausible explanation for the problems I am having and that clear-specific links to the proper download will solve the problem. 

Thanks Again and Regards -- -- Tom Hagood 

Hello, 

I believe that I un-zipped those files correctly, but I will take another look and see if that is correct. But in either case finding the correctly specific location to download is to say the least confusing!

On 5/11/2020 at 01:12 AM, tombo said:

When I Google https:/affin.co/photocore skills, I get 24,000 results

Why should you google, every chapter at it's start names the complete URL, you just have to type that URL correctly into the browsers top URL bar (address bar) and a corresponding download panel should popup for the related zip file download. - For the URL you showed above, just remove the space character inbetween ".../photocore skills" --> ".../photocoreskills" and you are done, the download will be initiated!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi ridgeclimber,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can find all the pages were the links were listed here. Please consider changing your Forum username to something else to prevent spammers from harvesting your e-mail. To do it go here and set a new username or click your username in the top right of this forum's page, select Account Settings, click on the Display Name link on the left and change/set a new username (on the right).

Hello, 

Thank you for the link.

My problem is solved and I will share the solution as it may help others; I do not know why it worked, only that it did work. My OS is Windows 7, which is working just fine for me because I never take it online (except when downloading your picture tutorials). By trial and error, I had begun to wonder if there was some peculiar glitch in my OS or computer which was throwing a monkey wrench in my efforts, and I also began to fear with all this searching and effort that I might pic up some malware.  

So I downloaded your files to my trusty Chromebook and loaded them into the desktop of my 7 with a thumb-drive;  It worked the first time and flawlessly thereafter. 

Thank Your and Regards -- -- Tom Hagood 

21 hours ago, MEB said:

Please consider changing your Forum username to something else to prevent spammers from harvesting your e-mail.

Ridgeclimber has followed this good advice but his original username still appears against quotes in other users’ posts. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello, a little help please!

This is about layers and I am aware it is way off the topic of this thread, and it is not the first Affinity thread I have posted to on the subject. I've done it a couple of times to threads that I suppose were old and dead with no response. Since I know this thread is active, I thought to take my shot and see if you can help from here?

My problem is layers which I cannot get to lock; I am aware there are a couple of ways to do it, and they will both light up the padlock icon on the selected layer, but it fails to lock them (as drag-able as they ever were).

And this too, when I drag a layer into another layer as the workbook illustrates, usually I cannot take the said dragged layer back out. Basically they are conjoined for life, and the only way I have found to change that is to revert the history back to the time before!

Thanks and Regards -- -- thagood  

• Staff

Hi tombo, 
In Affinity apps a locked layer only prevents you from selecting it on canvas (thus preventing it from being moved/painted/modified accidentally while you work), you can still select it in the Layers panel to perform some quick changes without having to unlock/lock it every time, which we consider a deliberate action.

Regarding your second question, this only happens when you nest a layer to another. To move it out again, with the layer expanded (so you can see both layers listed int he Layers panel) select the child layer clicking on its thumbnail then drag it outside the parent layer (or start dragging it directly to outside the parent layer clicking and dragging it from its thumbnail).

MEB,

OK, I got it sorta, but I am working in the Photo and Develop Personas and only have the vaguest idea of what a 'Canvas' actually is; i'll get to it later, but for the present there is plenty in front of me to occupy my mind.  Here are a couple of things that would help at the levels I'm actually working-- -- 

Why in the world can I not get a before and after / split view in the Photo Persona or is there a way to do that, that I am just not aware of?

And how do I go about saving my picture files while retaining 'history' from my Affinity editing. I don't know where or how, so for the present I'm just saving on the computer and when the come back in to affinity they do not retain the history. Lightroom which is my other editor has extensive apparatus inboard  for saving and cataloging files; I haven't picked up on anything in Affinity that is so dedicated,  but there must be a way to save the picture files while retaining history, 

If you could just point me in the right direction, I'll take it from there!

Again thanks for your help and regards -- -- thagood 

Edited by tombo
Correct mistake

7 hours ago, tombo said:

And how do I go about saving my picture files while retaining 'history' from my Affinity editing.

File menu > Save History With Document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi tombo,
The split view is only available for destructive filters (which you can access going to menu Filters - check the three buttons on the bottom left of each filter dialog). For non-destructive filters - what we call live filters (which can ac through the menu Layer > New Live Filter Layer and selecting a filter or clicking the Live Filter button on the bottom of the Layers panel) you can tick/untick the checkbox on the respective layer to turn the filter on/off for comparison purposes.

To save the file with History go to menu File > Save History With Document

That is interesting and helpful, thank you to MEB and RC-R.

Good to know that I can save the history with the pic file. I'm beginning to suspect that Affinity Photo does not have a capability within itself to save, sort, file, identify and recall photographs.  When I click file- save as or file-open I am referred to my computers facilities like documents or pictures. But this is not clear and I am wondering, where does the file go when I just click save or when I close a file and Affinity as if I want to save?

Does it go to my computer or is there a compartment within Affinity; as far as I can discern Affinity only has some awareness of recent: I can see that there is an option to Add To Library, but where is that library. I have been searching for that function but see no path to it?

Regards thagood  

• Staff

Hi tombo,
Affinity doesn't provide any DAM (digital assets management) functionalities. It doesn't manage/organise/search libraries as dedicated DAM software (like Lightroom for example). It's strictly a RAW developer/converter and photo editing app (more comparable to Photoshop). So when you save or export the files, it saves/export them to a folder on your disk as any other regular app not to a managed library). Where are you seeing the Add to Library command?

Hello, 

Most of my images are stored in Lightroom; early on I tried to establish a link between Affinity and LR, but it didn't work out, and in truth I had no idea what to expect from it. Presently I am exporting images from Lightroom to my desktop, editing in Affinity and then storing them on my desktop. 

I'm not sure why but my intuition makes me fearful of exporting edited Affinity images back into Lightroom until I understand more about how that works. My question: what kind of link can I establish between the two editors and what might I expect form it? And thank you all for taking the time to answer these questions; it is very helpful!

Regards -- -- thagood