You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

add line drawing and make white background transparent

I need to add a line drawing to my file but I do not want the white background. I use RealDraw on the PC and they have a tool called AutoTransparencyFromIntensity that automatically removes the solid white background. How can I do this in iDraw since I need to use the Mac. Currently I purchased Parallels and am running Windows just so I can do this for a single client! Please advise

• Staff

Hello jenifern,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :) This forum is meant for Affinity software users/support.

iDraw is an application from another software publisher (Indeeo). They have a Facebook page where you can get support and you can also contact them through the e-mail at the bottom of their website. 

Sorry for iDraw. I have asked this question of many and I forgot to remove the iDraw reference. Yes, I need a tool on the Mac to make this easier. I am not a graphics designer but I must place line drawings of property on a grid for foundation inspection engineers. We then print the file and the engineers mark up the drawing with proper elevations. Currently, I must run Parallels on my Mac just so I can run RealDraw. thank you very much for your answer. I am wondering if I am looking in the wrong area for a tool to do this on the Mac. BTW the file is a pdf. Maybe what I need is a PDF editor of some kind? Oh well, thanks again. - Jen

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

You should be able to open the PDF in Affinity Photo Beta then select the object with the white background and choose 'Filters'->'Colours'->'Erase White Paper'... It's designed to do exactly the task you're describing :)

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone, 

I found this topic about how to get rid of white background from the image. I have the same question. How can I get rid of white background from my scanned sketch what I made and get some png file with transparent background? I've found tons of tutorials for photoshop but I can't do it in affinity photo. I would appreciate any help, thank's

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, melicharlks. :)

I found this topic about how to get rid of white background from the image. I have the same question. How can I get rid of white background from my scanned sketch what I made and get some png file with transparent background?

As Matt wrote two years ago, in the post just before yours:

... select the object with the white background and choose 'Filters'->'Colours'->'Erase White Paper'... It's designed to do exactly the task you're describing

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)