You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Glyph Browser search facility

Thank you for the latest beta version.

I still cannot get the search facility of the glyph browser to work.

Could someone possibly provide step by step instructions of exactly, precisely how to search for U+00b0 and then get the character into the document please?

To me, the documentation is not clear.

• Search—Enter a Glyph value, a Unicode value or a text phrase to locate a Glyph or Unicode character. For example, "G+0131", "U+00b0" or the phrase "degree" will all show the degree symbol, respectively.

I am using the Arial font at 24 point in an ordinary text frame.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

14 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Could someone possibly provide step by step instructions of exactly, precisely how to search for U+00b0 and then get the character into the document please?

Searching is pretty much like the Help said: Put U+00b0 into the search field, and the browser shows that character:

image.png.dd98e6b05ef4b4cbfbe89e63a8464832.png

Then, to get the character into the document, just double-click it and it's inserted at the cursor in the active text frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

What part doesn't work? The search or the insertion into the text frame?

Can you provide a screenshot?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What part doesn't work? The search or the insertion into the text frame?

Can you provide a screenshot?

The search. I enter U+00b0 into the search box, as in your screenshot, except that mine is in the alternative colour scheme, but no selected glyph is indicated. I had wondered if I needed to click something to start the search, but from your post it appears not.

Here is a part of a screenshot.

glyph_browser_detail.thumb.png.1ea0c69b4adda5bc9c62146302bba041.png

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It is actually highlighted, William, but it’s extremely low contrast!

So it is.

Thank you.

Hopefully something will be done to change that.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

So it is.

Thank you.

Hopefully something will be done to change that.

I suggest reporting it as a bug, if it hasn't been already.

-- Walt
PC:

I have just added a bug report in the section for the Windows version.

Yet I was unable to copy and paste a link to this thread.

If there is anyone reading this who knows how to do that, then posting the link as a 'reply' to my bug report would be helpful please.

William

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

If there is anyone reading this who knows how to do that, then posting the link as a 'reply' to my bug report would be helpful please.

Hi @William Overington,

hover the mouse over a forum post and look at the top right corner of it. There you see the text 'Report post' followed by a small icon with three dots and lines between them:

1961700289_ShareIcon.png.4f5135fdbf5ffc21334240c169efa50d.png

If you click on this icon a pop up window opens with a link to this very post. You can copy it and paste it to another post elsewhere in the forum.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil