You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping – please eliminate new extra click (.107)

Hi. I'm splitting an older post in the hope that the single issues get addressed.

In AP 1.6.7 I choose the crop ratio via "Mode: ...". After I pick one, the pulldown menu closes automatically <= This is how it should be.

In AP 1.7.0.106 I choose the crop ratio via the cogwheel icon. After I pick one, I have to close the the pulldown menu with an additional click on the cogwheel or outside the pulldown menu. Please close the pulldown menu automatically after I chose one of the crop ratios. 

Chris B already replied that it should behave like it does in 1.6.7 (and like it does in the beta on windows), but the thread didn't get an afp-... number to show me that it's logged to be looked at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, manu schwendener said:

It would also be good if the cropping ratio could be made sticky, so it remembers what I last used.

(I make postcards from my photos, so I mainly use 5 preset custom ratios.)

I just got through asking for the sticky ratio in another post today. We process a few hundred pics per batch, all of which need to retain the original ratio, so having it reset every time is a terrible PITA! I had also requested it back in 1.6 but it never got changed. At least the Darken Border is now sticky in 1.7!

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
10 minutes ago, manu schwendener said:

This should not be in the thread archive, as it is not fixed yet. Do I need to start a new thread in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/19-photo-beta-on-mac/ that links here?

If it was logged as a bug, it does not need a new topic, and it does not (as far as I know) matter where the original topic is placed.

It probably simply hasn't been fixed yet. Some bugs are years old, and unless Serif has said it was fixed it hasn't been.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, manu schwendener said:

1.10.4: not only not fixed, but now there is a lag of several seconds when I open the presets to do 1:1 ratio = square cropping. 

This feels really clumsy for such a simple task.

What OS do you use?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Monterey has introduced code-signing when NIBs are loaded/updated, which is causing bottlenecking in the app when interacting with certain parts of the UI, such as the crop presets. I don't currently know if this is something we can fix or if Apple need to address it.

57 minutes ago, manu schwendener said:

Thank you for the explanation of the time lag, Chris.

Could you try and get the extra click eliminated that was introduced in January 2019?

Thanks a lot  : )

I admire all those users having seemingly infinite patience. I love the British cultivate and polite style of this forum, too. Never the less, deep in my troubled soul there is a tiny devil using lots of swearing, and i try hard to not let him out ever.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.