MaraNiebling

Publisher crashing when clicking export

Since I downloades the latest version of Publisher (version 1.7.1.277), every time I try to export my work, the programm closes and does not export. When I reopen the programm, everything is as usual, but if I click export, the programm crashes again. I work with a Windows 10 surface pro.

I didn't see this when I was logging a similar bug - I have this problem if I have a table of contents created in a frame that came from a master page.

Hi MaraNiebling,

Could you go to the following location %AppData%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\ and zip up the contents of the folder and attach it please. Also would you be able to attach a copy of the file you're trying to export, as well please?

Thanks!

The file I really need to export as an PDF/X-3:2002 is the one I attached now. Just in case you are able to do it, I would need all pages and the margin as included in the document.

I feel lots of gratitude for your help.

Yours faithfully

Mara

2019_01.31.afpub

Hi Mara,

Thanks for the files - unfortunately however I've not been able to reproduce the issue. The 2019_01.28.afpub file exports without crashing, however as Arun said above I cannot open the 2019_01.31.afpub file.

Would you be able to try holding down Ctrl when launching the app. This will give you many checkboxes - could you tick all of these and click 'Clear' and then try exporting please. Note this will remove any brush, asset, styles, and UI customisations you may have made so please do back these up first if you want to retain them.

I'll get the crash reports passed along to development to see if they can figure out what might be happening!

38 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Hi Mara

APub says "This file type is not supported" when I try to open the file.

That's strange, should I try to upload it again?

2 minutes ago, MaraNiebling said:

Thanks a lot, I'll try that as soon as I'm home. How do I back up my text styles?

These are actually saved in your document, so these shouldn't be lost - however you have attached the contents of your AppData, so if you do want to get something back it will be found inside there.

2 minutes ago, MaraNiebling said:

That's strange, should I try to upload it again?

You can do, although I would try the Ctrl+Run up method first to see if this solves things for you.

Thanks,

Hi Mara,

Development have looked at your crash reports and have found that it is crashing because it is failing to load a colour profile when exporting. Would you be able to try a few things for me please:

Go to the install location of Publisher and then into the Resources\icc\ folder (By default this should be: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher Public Beta\Resources\icc) and check the contents of the folder. There should be a 17 colour profiles in here, if you don't have those then please either perform a repair on the installation, or an uninstall and then reinstall. 

If that is no good could you go C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\ and zip up the contents of that folder and attach it please?

Lastly could you check your Export dialog and attach a screenshot showing the full export settings please (including those under 'More').

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Mara,

Thanks for the files - unfortunately however I've not been able to reproduce the issue. The 2019_01.28.afpub file exports without crashing, however as Arun said above I cannot open the 2019_01.31.afpub file.

Would you be able to try holding down Ctrl when launching the app. This will give you many checkboxes - could you tick all of these and click 'Clear' and then try exporting please. Note this will remove any brush, asset, styles, and UI customisations you may have made so please do back these up first if you want to retain them.

I'll get the crash reports passed along to development to see if they can figure out what might be happening!

Ctrl worked, Thank you a thousand times, I'm currently exporting :)

19 minutes ago, MaraNiebling said:

Ctrl worked, Thank you a thousand times, I'm currently exporting :)

That's wonderful - glad you're back exporting. Thanks for letting us know!

Hi MaraNiebling,

The reason for the white gap around the edge is that your document has a 3mm bleed set in Document Setup and when exporting to PDF you will have the 'Include Bleed' option ticked. Because none of your images extend into this 3mm bleed (visible by going View > Show Bleed) it is appearing white. Unticking that option in the PDF export dialog will solve that.

Lastly the blue lines disappearing is a combination of them having no height and using transparency on them. As they're a straight line object they have 0 height, and because you've used transparency (which is not supported natively by PDF/X-3) it is trying to rasterize the object, which because of the 0 height is disappearing. This doesn't happen if rasterised inside the app so I'll get that passed on. You could either rasterise the object inside the app, or just remove the transparency and they will get exported.

11 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi MaraNiebling,

The reason for the white gap around the edge is that your document has a 3mm bleed set in Document Setup and when exporting to PDF you will have the 'Include Bleed' option ticked. Because none of your images extend into this 3mm bleed (visible by going View > Show Bleed) it is appearing white. Unticking that option in the PDF export dialog will solve that.

Lastly the blue lines disappearing is a combination of them having no height and using transparency on them. As they're a straight line object they have 0 height, and because you've used transparency (which is not supported natively by PDF/X-3) it is trying to rasterize the object, which because of the 0 height is disappearing. This doesn't happen if rasterised inside the app so I'll get that passed on. You could either rasterise the object inside the app, or just remove the transparency and they will get exported.

Thanks a lot, that seems to save my problems :)

We believe the issue ("Zero height line fails to correctly export to PDF") has been fixed in the latest Affinity Publisher beta and should not occur in the initial release of Affinity Publisher next week.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.