You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Let's crowdfund Affinity designer and photo for linux!

1 minute ago, myclay said:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=37541
Photoshop CC 2019 seems to work with a workaround on Linux builds.

Is that a microwave oven? LOL. Naah, it always worked like that, by copying an existing installation, but that means having a Windows machine working for installing and upgrading. It's a PITA!

11 hours ago, AiDon said:

Have you forgotten that Serif say they are not interested and they certainly will not give away the code.

No, haven't forgotten. But when I asked codeweavers, I specifically told them this and since they're up for it anyway, I'm assuming they have the skills to figure it out without the source code.

Personally I just use dual-boot as, no matter what anyone says, native apps for Windows never have exactly 100% of the Windows functionality on UNIX/LINUX and we have done that for years. Of special complexity is the graphics abilities, external apps, plugins etc., etc.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• 6 months later...

I agree native window and Wine will always have a layer for complexity .because of this complexity it sometimes causes a performance or bug issue. The proton project looks very promising and works well so far.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

example of proton performance seems good

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/09/12/far-cry-new-dawn-never--released-for-linux-but-its-matching-windows-10-performance-anyway/#6568759f121f

Also having Affinity on Linux would expand the market and respect from the Linux community.  as I mentioned before maybe having a snap package for Ubuntu base system would be a better approach since this distro is well known with ordinary and beginner users. Ubuntu also is being used by an enterprise company for their workstation. Short term I understand that Seif doesn't have it on Linux, but it would be very beneficial for them, in the long run, to have it cross-platform, so users can shift when needed when the market or situation changes. All artist tools should be modulated, in my opinion, but I can be wrong.

One final thought, maybe a valuable solution is to port it on Steam?

On 1/26/2019 at 11:38 PM, R C-R said:

Yes, in the other very long topic they have explained (quite a few times) why they have no interest in developing Linux versions at this time. Funding is only a small part of it, which is why they have rejected the crowd funding idea.

That doesn't mean they will never develop Linux versions, just that they are not going to do so while other things have a higher priority. Since there are many of them, don't expect Linux versions any time soon.

Probably linux users is a way too small a market for Serif. Windows is about 90%, MAC is about 9% and the rest? Not worth the effort?

Some hard facts:

Windows 87.50%
  Mac OS 9.74%
  Linux 2.14%

• 7 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, Tourmaline said:

Probably linux users is a way too small a market for Serif. Windows is about 90%, MAC is about 9% and the rest? Not worth the effort?

Some hard facts:

Windows 87.50%
  Mac OS 9.74%
  Linux 2.14%

That comparison isn't exactly fair, because on Windows and Mac Affinity has heavy competition (Adobe, Corel, ...). On Linux it would basically be the first and only professional design/photo suite. Also number of users doesn't equal number of willing-to-pay users. At least in terms of games (see statistics on HumbleBundle) linux users aren't exactly cheap skates.

• 9 months later...

Let me contribute also, we are definitely on the trend and it's already where we as the client, both the receiving user and as the supporting patreon felt this:

that is, the rewards from the blurring boundary between different platforms.

Because platforms are, yes, ultimately an intrusion when accessing different use cases.

For our beloved company Serif, especially to all the hard working people who monitor these strategy decision and what can unavoidably inflicts danger or costs:

You'd need to actively monitor these type of things, I don't have any other examples straight from my head except just this one, Linux platform.

Or you should off load this task to someone who will do an evaluation maybe every 8 month or so for you.

Microsoft is one company that, I personally included, probably wouldn't think of as enabling and allowing continuously opening up to these kind of thing.

But they are.

And the thing with these opening up use cases and opportunities in the tech market is that

once anyone of the entities done it, all the rest competition would lost their advantage on what been held back.

So I believe people are moving away from Adobe because when they finally realised the subscription costs. (mind that, we wouldn't mind supporting Serif, but subs work best on voluntary bases I believe.)

I wholeheartedly believe this is what Serif practice. And I have no doubt about it.

That's the reason I recommend keeping this trend in monitoring. Because Microsoft enabling Linux as a sub system WSL, and very anecdotally I found myself wanting to boot into my fedora instead of my windows box on my laptop - while Microsoft has not too much objection to open source circles but rather has been known for trusting projects to these open source skilled assets. Lightworks for old Hollywood production is on Linux, Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve also and Krita was recently ported to Android but not yet IPadOS and actually made me hesitate on what to stay on.

It's giving me some sort of a hunch mostly with Microsoft though, that this is going somewhere. And like when these things happens (like what you done to me as to you to Adobe to me ) - it's going to make the lesser solutions, many times I think the solution who seek to lock-in clients, not by voluntary basis - it basically make them obsolete.

Lock me in, Serif, which you already did, and steal my heart - you have my full consent :D

On Linux or not, I actually wouldn't know if it's any important yet, but yes, I do recommend keeping this in monitoring.

2 hours ago, Wessie said:

So I believe people are moving away from Adobe because when they finally realised the subscription costs. (mind that, we wouldn't mind supporting Serif, but subs work best on voluntary bases I believe.)

I wholeheartedly believe this is what Serif practice. And I have no doubt about it.

What evidence do you have that people are moving away from Adobe because of the subscription cost? Looks to me like Adobe is continuing to grow and its CC subscribers is increasing. I do think the price is high for Adobe CC if you are a casual home user, if you are a business making money from the software you should very easily be able to support the $50 a month.