You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Real split mode

Goes for all apps but mainly Designer.

Right now we have a split mode that's — to be polite — of limited use. Zoom, rotation… all of that does not happen. It's merely a checking method on how your pixels may eventually look and if you have stray vectors. That's it.

It'd be so much more useful to have a way of seeing a document at various zoom levels without having to use tabs or the freakazoid view mode. One side of the split would be the document at display scale while the other would be zoomed in to work on a detailed part more easily while always seeing it in context.

Do views not already do this? You can make a new view window and use it as you would your regular view, zoom to whatever level etc, while working close up on your main view. 
Example: 

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

12 hours ago, Frank Jonen said:

Yes but you have to use that freakish exploded mode of the app. Not very helpful.

If you're referring to Separated Mode then I guess you're on Mac. New View works quite nicely with floated documents on Windows, but I don't think that Affinity allows floating of individual documents on Mac.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On Windows you can detach the Navigator Panel, resize it, set it to the zoom you want and move it to your second screen ( if you have one)

Then zoom in to work on your main screen, (the Navigator Panel's zoom will not be affected)

Would this work on a Mac?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.