You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm new to Affinity Photo and thought I was doing something simple, lol. 
I have a layer that is all black. I put a vector shape on it - a star. 
I wanted to make the star a bright yellow so chose yellow on the colors and used the fill tool, but nothing happens. 
Whaaaat? :) 

3 hours ago, kanada said:

I am having I think similar problems, I created a shape with colour then the colour disappears. Can't get it back. Trying to use Affinity Photo as a replacement for Photoshop but so far am not impressed.

I hear that. I didn't come to Infinity Photo from photoshop. I was using Paint.net which has layers but no Mask Layers, so got this but I can't even apply a color to an object in here. I am NOT getting it and am getting totally frustrated. 
you'd think simple things like the paint bucket would be universal... pick a color, click the area you want that color to go, and boom... color. But it just doesn't work. 
I am now working on a group of layers ... I have a girl on one layer and a butterfly on another layer. I need to flip the butterfly so it's facing the other direction. I turn off the layer with the girl, select the layer with the butterfly, go to document, click on horizontal flip... yay it works BUT when I turn the girl back on... she flips too! Holy crap batman! I'm going to bed before I delete the whole darn thing.

This should be simple...

Used a fill layer to get a black background.

yellow-star.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, Meenie50 said:

you'd think simple things like the paint bucket would be universal... pick a color, click the area you want that color to go, and boom... color. But it just doesn't work. 

The paint bucket (Flood Fill Tool in Affinity-speak) is used to color pixel layers. For vector, shape, & text object layers, you use the Swatches or Color panels, together with the color wells (the big colored circles) or the equivalent item on the context toolbar to set the fill or stroke colors separately. (When all else fails, RTFM; or in this case the Color Panel help topic.)

7 hours ago, Meenie50 said:

I am now working on a group of layers ... I have a girl on one layer and a butterfly on another layer. I need to flip the butterfly so it's facing the other direction. I turn off the layer with the girl, select the layer with the butterfly, go to document, click on horizontal flip... yay it works BUT when I turn the girl back on... she flips too! Holy crap batman! I'm going to bed before I delete the whole darn thing.

That is because items on the Document menu affect the entire document. To flip a selected layer, use the "Flip Horizontal" item on the Arrange menu. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 2:16 AM, firstdefence said:

This should be simple...

Used a fill layer to get a black background.

yellow-star.gif

Well, hey, why doesn't my infinity photo look like this? all I have on the left side is a double row of tools... none of those colors and swatches, et al! 
Hmmmm 

You can drag panels to the left or right of the Affinity screen, you can arrange them however you like to suit you. You enable panels from the menu: View > Studio

You can also reset the studio from the same place.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-17-at-07-18-41.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions