You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dealing with Glyphs

I have a font installed that uses some symbols inserted into a line of text. One of the issues I am encountering is that the baseline for the symbols is too high. I know that I can use TEXT>Baseline>>Lower baseline to get the symbols into a good position. However, I am using these symbols quite a lot, so my question is this; how do I get the symbol inserted at the position I want every time without having to move each instance? 

8 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

This depends on the vertical metrics settings in the font.
You may be able to just tweak the font a bit.
What font is it?

This is the font. It might have been fan created and is used for fans to create non-commercial material. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8nq0741b41palgu/AAAQoXvkOUmL58cY7FQj6mVLa?dl=0. I don't know enough about font making to be able to manipulate it so that when inserted the center of the symbols is on center with the line of text it is inserted into. 

OK. Got it.
Took a quick look.
Those 6 symbols are visually different sizes.
Some of them may have to be resized to appear the same size.

Two of them (t and d) actually drop below the baseline.

Please post an image of how these will be used in your text.

I did find the discussion here:
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256003-genesys-symbol-font/
I assume this is where this font came from.

.... looking at the game site ...

Hmmmm ... found some PDF documents on the game site.
I can see by the symbols in the PDFs that they are not positioned the same in this font.

example-1.png.d343cd4d5730780f779a48603932b273.png

example-2.png.4745292d4311bae4309918390f26545b.png

example-3.png.514694746035a7aeac5203a0fb4bc7a9.png

In your font the "s" character (star) - the tip just barely drops below the baseline.
In the PDF you can see the star is much lower - the bottom two side points rest on the baseline.
Same with the other characters.
It is kind of an inconsistent mess.

The font can be tweaked a bit to be more similar to their custom font.
I'll see what I can do.

Obviously this is not an APub issue.

Well, OK, yes that is from where the font came. Some of the people who produce the fan material are using AI so that they might correct the font in the document, don't know. As for how I will be using it; much in the same way. There is a new book coming out next month that I will be using for the Genesys RPG system. Right now I am just copying and pasting material into AP so that I can use it to practice layouts, mess with styles, layers, groups, text flow, justification and in general learn to use AP properly as well as understand what it takes to do layout work.

For example, to achieve the colored die shapes I colored and outlined their glyphs in a key. Unfortunately, I have to copy paste them to use them as well. I download a trial version of Hogh-logic Font Creator, but I was lost. 

The files below are the ones that I am currently experimenting with; they probably look like a hot mess, remember, I am new to this whole thing and just getting started. The whole process is kinda fun and interesting. If anything it gives me a new appreciation for those that do this kind of work.

Android_Fan_setting.afpub

Genesys-cheat-sheet_Final.afpub

3 hours ago, Morgoth said:

I download a trial version of Hogh-logic Font Creator, but I was lost. 

There is an active, helpful, forum for High-Logic products.

https://forum.high-logic.com/

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:55 AM, Morgoth said:

... how do I get the symbol inserted at the position I want every time without having to move each instance?  

I tried a test, not with that font but with a capital E acute using Arial and I found that if I do the downward adjustment once, then I can copy and paste the downward adjusted glyph and paste it where else I need it and the downward adjustment that was done before travels with the copy.

Does that help?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

I tried a test, not with that font but with a capital E acute using Arial and I found that if I do the downward adjustment once, then I can copy and paste the downward adjusted glyph and paste it where else I need it and the downward adjustment that was done before travels with the copy.

Does that help?

William

Currently, that is what I am doing. I have a separate window open with the glyphs in "as best I can" adjusted position. Then I bounce back and forth between them.

4 hours ago, William Overington said:

There is an active, helpful, forum for High-Logic products.

https://forum.high-logic.com/

William

It's an opportunity cost thing; the more time I spend getting the font right myself and learning Font Creator, the less time I spend working on learning AP. Don't get me wrong, FC looks to be helpful. I don't know how much time I want to devote to this sub-skill before I even learn how to use AP for its intended purpose. 

@Morgoth

I extracted the characters from the above PDF example and the positions are much different.
In that document (realms_of_terrinoth_pcs_highres.pdf) they are obviously using a custom font they made for that purpose.
The vertical metrics are quite a bit different than your original font.
And the character outlines are much cleaner.

That document is missing the "f" character (the 4-point star).
Do you have another official PDF document which has all the characters?
I can create it from the "d", but it would be better to use the original.

So the plan is to fix the font using the cleaner outlines and the proper metrics.
Then when you type a character it should be vertically positioned just like the official document in the above example.
Does that make sense to you as a good solution?

When done I will test in APub using the same fonts as the doc above (AGaramondPro and Genesys).