You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Isometric Gird on iPad is inconsistent

Hi,

I’m attempting to create some isometric artwork on the iPad but the grid system is throwing me off. I’m snapping to grid but the shape isn’t following the lines.

if you can see in the attached images the grid lines seem to move around. Sometimes they don’t even align with themselves and sometimes there’s an extra vertical line appears. The grey shape is apparently snapped to grid (Red lines) in these examples. I’m hoping someone can help me fix this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer.

Kind regards

Shaun

35E9DE8C-BEA4-4006-94FD-3C331D4D696F.thumb.png.3317a72f946fbc97d62f5d09932cb45d.png45985B96-E801-4E9F-AD77-4760C9390CF4.thumb.png.ad3004f53db27562b7b71eea25fcfb8a.png607F445D-DC7F-4DF5-A112-ED276B3A58FD.thumb.png.0aa8d6f0323b8d13437d0715250121d2.png

I haven’t seen that apart from when I’ve accidentally moved off grid.

Have you tried locking the layer to make sure it hasn’t been moved.

Isometric grid doesn’t have vertical lines, how is your grid configured?

How is your snapping configured?

To have a grid that large your doc size must be quite small, maybe 300x300 pts?

Can you attach your design file to your post for others to look at?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

I'm seeing the same behaviour. The lines appear to move when zoomed! Snapping on or off, doesn’t matter.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your quick reply. I’m out all day without the iPad but I know most of the info you’ve asked.

My apologies on the confusion, the grid is actually the triangular one. You can see in the images that the vertical line actually misses the crossing point of the diagnol lines on occasion.

The grid is actually 256px with 12px increments, I’ve just zoomed in so you can see the problem.

Snap to grid is set alongside most of the other options but I’m pretty sure it’s snapping to this grid and then looks offset when zooming in and out.

As above, the doc size is a lot larger, only zoomed in. I don’t remember the dimensions off the top of my head at the moment.

I’ll try upload the doc later although DM1 appears to have demonstrated the problem better :)

Thanks

Shaun

Ok now I see it, looks to be a resolution problem with the software that draws the grid to me.

The actual grid, which is invisible mathematics behind the scenes, is accurate which can be easily checked in the transform studio by drawing a shape snapping to the grid and then measuring its dimensions. It Is the drawing of the visible grid that has a bug when zoomed in very close.

My guess is the draw grid function isn’t using the same high precision maths that’s shapes are using, perhaps for speed reasons. If that is the case I guess they risk slowing down the on screen performance by using the same mathematical precision for drawing the visible grid.

My twopeneth as a software engineer for 41 years.

i guess Serif will step in now and correct me.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff

Hi Redbrit :)

Thanks for your report, this is an issue we're aware of and has been logged with our developers to be fixed. I'll update this log with your thread.

As PMudditt has mentioned, the grid and snapping is functioning, simply the grid is not being displayed correctly. This can be confirmed by saving a document showing the same issue as yours and opening this on the desktop version of the app. The shape is correctly snapped to the grid and does not appear to 'move' away from the correct point as on the iPad, meaning this is a display issue and not a snapping inconsistency.

If you are working to export the file then rest assured that the shape will be constrained correctly to the grid, however I appreciate the annoyance of the shape not appearing correctly and hopefully this will be repaired shortly

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/28/2019 at 3:37 AM, Dan C said:

Hi Redbrit :)

Thanks for your report, this is an issue we're aware of and has been logged with our developers to be fixed. I'll update this log with your thread.

As PMudditt has mentioned, the grid and snapping is functioning, simply the grid is not being displayed correctly. This can be confirmed by saving a document showing the same issue as yours and opening this on the desktop version of the app. The shape is correctly snapped to the grid and does not appear to 'move' away from the correct point as on the iPad, meaning this is a display issue and not a snapping inconsistency.

If you are working to export the file then rest assured that the shape will be constrained correctly to the grid, however I appreciate the annoyance of the shape not appearing correctly and hopefully this will be repaired shortly

What do I do if I don’t have the desktop version of Affinity? I’m dealing with this same issue now and I can’t work on any isometric designs 

• Staff

Hi @Ision Industries,

Unfortunately there's been no recent developer update on this issue, as confirmed previously the grid is not drawing correctly, but your objects will be correctly snapped to the lines on your grid - and this is more noticeable at a higher zoom level, but occurs at all zoom levels. My apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)