You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using the color picker / eyedropper, I have to a) select it, b) drag&drop over the target color, and c) double click to apply it to a shape.  REALLY ?   Is that supposed to be better UX than click it, click the target color and have it set the shape color as (just about any) other graphical software works that features a function like this?

Really, this is my day-one on affinity designer and though I see lots of good stuff, this is totally breaking my workflow.  I cannot understand what benefit this method has other than 'lets not copy the competition'.

I am hoping there is a magic preference setting that makes it work "normally", anyone?

I would say that I also don't really like the way the eyedropper works.

I would prefer to have have it as a seperate tool with shortcut, so I can quickly select it. I also really like the way in which photoshop lets me use the color picker by using alt/option while using other tools. Another option I would like to have to reduce the amount of steps I need, is that the color I picked automatically becomes the foreground color.

Now I have to go in, take the eyedropper tool to the color, release, go to the color window again to select this color. Ideally I would use a shortcut to select the tool, click a color so it becomes the foreground color. This saves me 2 to 3 steps so saves a lot of time.

Additionally I would like the option to add the color to the swatches, preferably by simple drag & drop.

That is very good to know! Thanks Ronnie!

Yup Yup  That one of those unspoken secrets lol. You are welcome.

@ronnie.  Thanks for the info, good to know there is another method to getting a specific color setting. However, the whole drag & drop thing is repulsive to me. Drag & drop is normally used to get some object from one area/source to another. It give one the feeling of 'moving' it to the target area. That is NOT how I think about getting color at the tip of my brush. I don't want to hold the mouse button and fear of letting it go to early - I use the eyedropper a lot and this constant button press and hold is irritating. Then on top we have to click the eyedropper to 'activate' the selection. 

This is brain dead.        In particular because I cannot see any workflow that would benefit from the way this operates.  There is really no redeeming quality for how this was implemented.

Now, the 'feature' you discovered is (IMHO) even more lacking a sensible workflow. The hold-option-key then drag is not really an integrated move one would make to get an eyedropper. The dragging motion in this case would be more suitable for an application of a brush/pen effect (e.g. blurring) but not to get another tool (eyedropper) - which I still have to drag over the target area to get my color set.

With a boat load of good stuff in this software, this eyedropper is an absolute wart on the face of Affinity.  I can't stand it and as a consequence I loath to use/switch over to Affinity. 

You are welcome. Personally, I find it cumbersome too, but I'm not close to being as annoyed as you obviously are lol. I would not call it a Wart maybe a pimple. eventually, it will get addressed. Text on Path was a pimple and many people complained about it and they got around to adding it and now people are happy. You voiced your opinion and concerns and I am sure you been heard because the developers are very active on this board. I understand your frustration but don't let it define who you are in the community. :)

So, what kind of work  or art do you do? I can see the negatives and benefits of things depending on workflow. Maybe an alternative approach could alleviate some of the stress you are  having with tool....or maybe not lol

You are welcome. Personally, I find it cumbersome too, but I'm not close to being as annoyed as you obviously are lol. I would not call it a Wart maybe a pimple. eventually, it will get addressed. Text on Path was a pimple and many people complained about it and they got around to adding it and now people are happy. You voiced your opinion and concerns and I sure you been heard because the developers are very active on this board. I understand your frustrations, but don't let it define who you are in the community. :) So what kind of work  or art do you do? I can see the negatives and benefits of things depending on workflow. Maybe an alternative approach could alleviate some of the stress you are  having with tool....or maybe not lol

-

Ronnie, wise words :-)

Anyone is welcome to form an opinion on who I am in any which way they like ... they do so with or without me picking my words carefully ;-)    I have yet to see developers change their mind after they invested so much energy in their baby, also in all the reviews this color picker business never came up which seems to me I must be the odd-ball, nobody else cares. Perhaps that is why my wording is a bit more strong. 

I use a wide variety of graphics software (yes including the darn Adobe suite) to do 2 main things: produce all sorts of graphics for OS X and iOS applications (icons, splash, parts, UX design, help illustrations etc.)  and secondly; I do (a lot) of marketing presentations and find that creating my own graphics gives me a much better result/response.  I don't quite like presentations with illustrations that are ad-hoc smashed together with different color themes and styles. I sweat those details a lot, it need to be harmonized for me.

With most models/ideas, I work on shape and shading (depth) first and than go through some sort of color palette selection. During that time I tend to use the color picker a lot.

Joost, 

I understand and agree with you about people making their opinion about you no and you can't allow that to phase you. Trust me I get my fair share of criticism from my youtube channel. You just can't please everyone, that is for sure.   I heard your frustration loud and clear and I just didn't want you to be written off which usually happens when someone new comes on to the forum and delivers a heated sounded rant. Your response clearly shows you are of stable mind ;)  With that being said I am sure someone at Affinity is reading this and perhaps your complaint will be worth more of a valid consideration and hopefully we will all benefit. I've been around this forum for awhile and have had the pleasure of even interacting with them through this forum and I can tell you they are more considerate than you might think, so let not assume they won't change. 

The reason I was asking what you do is to further evaluate your level of experience in what particular area of the creative field you work in and how you might be using the tool. The method I shared previously works best with digital painters who use a pen tablet and do digital painting. You obviously do not do that much of that particular thing and it is good for them to hear what you do and how it applies to your line of work and workflow. I too do quite a bit across the board and have experience in various digital fields so I can totally relate. I have found work around for these little things that are quirky and  I have altered how I do things to accommodate these methods until they get hashed ou, but it something I have learned to do. There are things I find cumbersome in other applications and Adobe is one of them. Affinity's applications are one of the few applications to give us a tool that is so close to what we already are use too. I think that what drives such passionate response like you have displayed, Let us be honest here most of us are artist and we want tools that get out of the way and allow us to create without being hindered by the over bloated unnecessary stuff that the leading tool has forced us to deal with.  Affinity has done it at a price point that is mind blowing in comparison. This is a young app but the developers are strong I believe deeply that most of these little cumbersome nuances will get worked out  we just have to be patient but constructive about how we address them, that is all. Let see what they say when they read this thread. 

we want tools that get out of the way and allow us to create 

That's it precisely.    I do appreciate Affinity for what it is able to do at the price that it is provided to us.  I am very unhappy about Adobe's bloat and to some degree price-point and it is good to see Affinity and others deliver this level of competition.   Hopefully they pick this threat up as you said and work their magic....

Ohh and what you are asking for is a feature request or perhaps a bug ;) There are threads for that.

• 1 year later...

It took me a good 10 minutes to figure where the color picker is and how to use it. I din't know it was drag and release... This should be fixed soon.

Me too.  Very unintuitive.

Please just add an Eyedropper tool on the tool palette.

1. Select Eyedropper tool.

2. Left click it somewhere on the image to set the foreground color.

3. Right click it somewhere on the image to set the background color.

Much much much easier.

Hi Appogee.

Did you notice that there is now an eyedropper (Color Picker) tool in Affinity Designer (& I think one in the recent betas of Photo)? It does not work exactly like in other graphic apps so it still may require some experimentation to see how to use it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7