You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New iPadpro exporting capabilities

I am new to affinity designer, I am currently using Procreate and an iPadpro 12.9 2017 edition.  I am a freelance illustrator, and sometimes I need to produce really large images.  I do not use vectors.  I paint my images with raster brushes. I have not been able to make documents large enough in Procreate, so I tried exporting a large document (52x100 300dpi) in affinity designer, and though the program will let me assign the size I need to the document, it can not export it.  The iPad Pro just spins and spins.  I tried several times, and after 20 mins I gave up.  Does the new iPad Pro that just came out, with affinity designer,  have better capabilities to export really large files?  If so what is the largest file it can handle?

23 minutes ago, Aub said:

I tried exporting a large document (52x100 300dpi)

Do you mean 52″ × 100″, or 52 cm × 100 cm, or something else? What is your chosen export format?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I mean 52”x 100 inches, at 300 dpi.  I usually export in pdf, but honestly I cannot remember what I was exporting it as when I attempted it.  Naturally the goal is to get excellent resolution, what do you suggest?

15600x30000=468Mpx..

You might need to leave it longer to render that size (assuming the iPads have sufficient ram).

Do you really need 300dpi at that size? What is your viewing distance?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

A drawing of that size will take a while to process if you are creating an image to send to a printer you can reduce the dimensions by half but keep the dpi at 300 and your printer will be able to print at the higher dimensions

On 1/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, Aub said:

I am new to affinity designer, I am currently using Procreate and an iPadpro 12.9 2017 edition.  I am a freelance illustrator, and sometimes I need to produce really large images.  I do not use vectors.  I paint my images with raster brushes. I have not been able to make documents large enough in Procreate, so I tried exporting a large document (52x100 300dpi) in affinity designer, and though the program will let me assign the size I need to the document, it can not export it.  The iPad Pro just spins and spins.  I tried several times, and after 20 mins I gave up.  Does the new iPad Pro that just came out, with affinity designer,  have better capabilities to export really large files?  If so what is the largest file it can handle?

You really need to communicate with the print service if you have not already. I have never used 300 dpi on a pixel dimension of that size (15600 x 30000 pixels).

Every print establishment I use for large format printing would like to receive a PDF using 150 dpi when at 100% size. However, when larger than your example, the DPI can easily be dropped further. In general, once large format printing is the target, viewing distance is taken into effect. Something of your size needs to be 7800 x 15000 pixels to equal a target resolution of 150 dpi.

capture-002494.png.3a04fe32799e3f872c216e33aff5e8c1.png