You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Beta 1.7.0.227 Master pages detach/link

Really impressed with Publisher Beta 1.7.0.227 handling of master pages  though, never having used InDesign, I don't know if Publisher is now as functional or better than ID.  I watched the introductory video  but don't know if this video (https://affinityspotlight.com/article/affinity-publisher-public-beta-vs-170227-now-available-on-auto-update/?utm_source=SpotlightEmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter) was made on Mac or something other than Windows which I am using. 
At about 6 minutes and 50 seconds into the narrator says you can select the Master page on the Layers tab and when he does that a context toolbar  1122839799_mastervideo.PNG.81a65495f8269836b08b4c5a3d0acd2d.PNG   opens Top left where he can select Edit   Detached  Linked.  (Sorry for poor quality of this picture)

I can only achieve something similar by RIGHT clicking on the Master page on the layers tab and then selecting from the  menu which then opens
 1421720632_Masterdetach.PNG.05847d9a90796d745fa8dd199f302596.PNG  If I then click on Edit Detached, my screen then includes the orange text box saying ("Editing Master 'A'  Detached

Apart from that, everything works exactly as the video describes and, as I said earlier, I'm impressed with how Serif have included this in response to people's requests

Pman .  

1 hour ago, PMan said:

I can only achieve something similar by RIGHT clicking on the Master page on the layers tab and then selecting from the  menu which then opens

Make sure that you select the Move Tool (Pointer Tool) for this to appear in the contextual bar. It will not show up with any other tool.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Well, well… A big step in the right direction, for sure. We can finally use Master Pages for content!

They don't link automatically across pages – in fact, they don't even link across the spread, as they won't retain the links added in the master, either –, which would make setting some projects much more cumbersome than on InDesign, requiring a lot of clicking, but at least I can finally envision it being viable and allowing for after the fact editing of their shape and placement. We're finally moving into proper professional DTP territory.

Edit: Oh, wait. I'll have to eat my words. Auto-linking across each spread and across different spreads does work, as long as you have content on the first text box. I only tried it with filler text, so I can't be 100% sure, but it certainly looks to be the case. That discrepancy seems a bit counterintuitive, but maybe there's some reason to it; either way, that's something I can live with, for sure.

Guys, give us that anchored object functionality which we know you're working on, and you'll be all set. ;) Kudos for the great update, this is a huge relief and has got to be the best graduation gift in advance I could've gotten.

As for the rest of the functionality, I'm sadly not even looking into them until February (because submission deadlines). Oh well… See you later!

17 minutes ago, PMan said:

the contextual bar shows up when the pointer tool is selected BEFORE LEFT clicking on Master() in the Layers tab.

Actually, you can select the layer without left clicking on, just click on it with any tool, but you need to switch to the Pointer Tool to see the contextual menu. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4