You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I achieve perfect symmetry? (Affinity Designer)

Hi,

I have a screenshot to explain what I mean by achieving perfect symmetry. You can see that I have 4 nodes in the selected shape (center of the screen). The four nodes are the top-left node, top-right node, bottom-right node, and the bottom-left node. I want to manipulate top-right and bottom-left node to make a "leaf" shape if you will, but I want it to be perfectly symmetrical - this means either I can manipulate them both at the same time, or I get to input the exact numerical values to how the nodes are manipulated so I can replicate for each node. So far I haven't been able to figure this out...

On Adobe Illustrator, you can most of the time use the keyboard to precisely move nodes - I tried using my keyboard on my iPad but this would not work.

I think perfect geometrical shape manipulation is a must in vector graphics - if anyone has suggestions that would be awesome!

PNG image.png

Another possibility... set a vertical guide. Tap on guide line with pen tool, tap again further along line and adjust node handle to provide deserve curve. Duplicate and flip. Reposition till top and bottom nodes snap. Voila... symmetrical shape. Join nodes/objects if required.

Alternatively, you could turn on the grid and snap nodes to grid points.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Using the node tool, click one on node. Hold one finger down on the screen, and click on the next.

Both will then move together. Gestures can be used for approximations, or grid snapping for integers.

If you need numbers, open the transform studio. Probably best to select the center position in the little bounding box icon. That way, the number input will be transferred to each node based on the center of the axis between them. Alter the numbers as needed. Press the x/y position buttons, and a little keypad icon will pop up, allowing whatever precise number you like.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet