You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAM issues

Hi, my late 2015 iMac has 8gb RAM and runs AP 1.6 ok. On opening a RAF file, developing it and then switching to Tone Map the Mac slows dramatically. If I open Activity Monitor and watch what's happening all is fine until Tone Map starts and then AP1.7 uses 7.4gb of ram. The Activity Monitor's graph then becomes red and all activity will slow to a crawl. The same file run through AP1.6 will use under 5gb of ram with the Activity Monitor graph remaining green. This is not unique to any one image, they all do the same thing. It will continue to process the file in AP1.7 but it is so slow I usually give up and force quit the application. This sometimes results in AP1.7 not quitting and still using all my ram.

• Staff

Hey gadabra,

I've done a comparison and the beta does appear to be using more RAM than the release build. This wouldn't normally concern me as we should always attempt to use whatever resources are available. However, the fact you have to force quit the application suggests that something isn't right and you are clearly seeing a difference between beta and release.

When I do this on my 2017 MacBook Pro, I get the higher RAM usage but I don't notice any impact on performance and I don't see the red graph as it remains green. I've got 16GB of RAM so I'll try some different spec machines and see what results I get.

• Staff
17 hours ago, gadabra said:

This is not unique to any one image, they all do the same thing

Are all the images from the same camera or from different sources? If it's th same camera, it might be worth attaching a sample for us. Are you using 8, 16 or 32 bit?

• Staff

I've just checked on a late 2013 iMac with 8GB RAM and it was fine. 

Update - We've just tried this with Metal enabled and it definitely seems much slower and we saw some red spikes. With Metal disabled, it's fine. Can you go to Preferences > Performance and let me know if Metal is enabled.

Hi Chris, yes Metal was enabled, I've turned it off, restarted the app and now its really speedy. The Activity Monitor doesn't even go orange let alone red.

As an aside, I will be changing my iMac later this year and it would be nice to have a recommended setting for the amount of RAM. I can see a minimum suggested by yourselves but nothing more.

17 minutes ago, gadabra said:

a recommended setting for the amount of RAM.

More is always better. You have 8 now try to get 32. Or more, it is always better, software can only benefit from more ram.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

24 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

More is always better. You have 8 now try to get 32. Or more, it is always better, software can only benefit from more ram.

OK, 32mb doesn't seem unreasonable price wise but what is more preferable - a faster processor or more RAM?

Thanks for the reply by the way

Watch Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) while doing the stuff you are trying to optimize.

If the CPU usage is pegged (100%) for a significant amount of the time, a faster CPU is more likely to help.

If the CPU is not pegged and you are seeing more I/O activity (from data being swapped in and out from disk), more memory is more likely to help.

4 hours ago, gadabra said:

OK, 32mb doesn't seem unreasonable price wise but what is more preferable - a faster processor or more RAM?

Thanks for the reply by the way

More RAM. Speed won't help if you can't load a file. I know that on the face of it that is an absurd statement but if you can have the entire file and edits loaded in RAM instead of being paged in and out of virtual memory the job will be done that much quicker.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

These are the specs of my mac. The use of memory in V1.7 as I posted before and others in this thread is humongous, at time with the dodge tool even on small files not too many layers down to 25 plus GB of ram leaving no residual memory for other tasks and in fact at times the program slows tremendously. I think that at the moment 32 GB of memory are a good amount considering that mac book pro has a max of 16.

This happens mainly with dodgeing brushes thus I think that the use of ram could be improved but I am not en expert in programming or similar things so I may be wrong. 

I must also said that I am more often now usimng v1.7 and found that in general it has a tremedous improvement in speed and performances vs the v1.6. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 8.51.19 PM.png

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

More RAM. Speed won't help if you can't load a file. I know that on the face of it that is an absurd statement but if you can have the entire file and edits loaded in RAM instead of being paged in and out of virtual memory the job will be done that much quicker

An uncompressed 16-bit per channel RGBA 40Megapixel image would require 305.2 MB of RAM.  Three of them less than 1 GB.

While you are probably correct that memory will be more important in most cases... what was that saying again... one test is worth a thousand opinions, or something like that?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.