You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shape bounding box not visible

Shapes with a transparent background don't show their bounding box in preview mode when not selected.

The only way to detect them is to click exactly on the edge of the bounding box (by guesswork) or to drag a marquee over the entire shape (partial selection doesn't work).

I know they are shown in the Layers panel, but finding the right shape in a complex page would be laborious.

A workaround I've found for the moment is to Select All to show all the bounding boxes, but some kind of visible boundary (as with empty picture frames) would be useful.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

44 minutes ago, Jim_A said:

drag a marquee over the entire shape (partial selection doesn't work)

That depends — or it should do! — on your settings in Preferences. The default is to require the selection marquee to completely enclose the shape(s), but there’s an option to include objects that merely intersect with the marquee.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

56 minutes ago, Jim_A said:

some kind of visible boundary (as with empty picture frames) would be useful.

The whole point of preview mode is to hide those unless they would be visible in the final output.

As soon as you start showing borders for things that won't print with borders it is no longer a valid preview mode.

17 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That depends — or it should do! — on your settings in Preferences. The default is to require the selection marquee to completely enclose the shape(s), but there’s an option to include objects that merely intersect with the marquee.

Thanks. That setting helps.

It's in Miscellaneous, if anyone's looking for it.

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The whole point of preview mode is to hide those unless they would be visible in the final output.

As soon as you start showing borders for things that won't print with borders it is no longer a valid preview mode.

Yes, sorry, I meant the opposite of Preview mode, whatever that's called. Edit mode? 

And, yes, if the bounding boxes are eventually implemented, they need to disappear in Preview mode. 

18 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Why are you creating invisible shapes to begin with?

An example might be a catalogue template which had a number of repeating graphical elements which might not always be needed. To remove selected ones (but not remove them from the template), simply make them invisible. You could hide them in the Layers panel (right-click, Find in Layers Panel, uncheck the box), but it would be laborious to find the right ones in a long list of identical elements when you're trying to show them again.

Also, finding stray objects, accidentally clicking the no-fill no stroke icon, creating shapes for text-wraps. If it's on the page, it's useful to know it's there.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.